• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Goose hunting in bean field

Brush it well ? Well maybe.

Bean fields cut flat to the earth are not exactly easy to hunt if the birds have been pressured. Blinds (brushed or not) often stick out too high.

Ask the land owner if you can dig shallow pits to lay the blinds into. A foot or two is all you need. Or use silos to break up the outline of your blinds.

Be careful on the color match of the blind material to the field. Big dark holes can appear to the birds above.

Then again, maybe it just does not matter on early Canada geese.

I've had some great hunts over the years in bean fields. If the farmer will allow you to dig in his field do it. Being flush with the ground and increasing the height of the decoys slightly around you will be a huge advantage. Make sure to ask before you dig though!! If he does allow you, I'd do it soon, so the fresh dirt has time to blend in. I'm assuming that there's some reasonable stubble laying in the field, so I'd get a bunch of it from an area that birds won't be concerned about and use it to blend in with the rest of the field.

Don't dig too deep!! just enough to have your blinds level with the ground, and there's no need to over-stuff your blinds, just make it look consistant with the ground around you.

Here's a couple hunting pics from a bean field a couple years ago. As you can see, it's well worth the extra effort to dig our blinds in wink

full-40309-23821-nodak1.jpg

full-40309-23822-347_556737421875_7660_n

Power hunter and x'landr blinds work well and have shot limits in bean fields and there were no digging. Also had a few hunts where we used FA pro guides and Finishers and we filled out. But we did gather as much stubble we could get by raking a ways from where we set up. But the lower you get, the better.

I often refer to this as trying to hide on top of a pool table. Try hunting the field edges if possible. We will also try and use the shadows of the field adjacent to us to help with our hide. What this means is setting up on the east side of the field with your blinds pointing west. When the sun comes up the shadows from the crop of the neighboring field do an amazing job keeping you hidden in addition to the stubble you've added.