• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I would say none of them are anymore....One toxic mushroom in the bunch and you could be headed for the hospital. You don't even have to eat the toxic one- if it touched the others it's close enough...Had a couple relatives end up in the hospital with partial liver failure from a couple morels that didn't look right, they tossed them but they had already touched the good ones...next thing they knew they couldn't get up off the floor. I don't even let my kids touch a shroom unless I am POSITIVE what it is.

Ya, what jerkin'm said.

But for future reference #2 and #6 look like edibles. #2 I believe goes by goats-beard and is delicious. #6 spoils very fast, so care to keep them cool and eating fast are key.

Of course, never trust an internet id, including mine. Look for a good book to reference, or someone very experienced to look at your mushrooms first hand.

Mushrooms Demystified is kind of the "bible", I like the Audubon Mushrooms of North America as it's a little more portable. I also have a couple locally produced books but can't remember the names of them. I usually carry at least a couple with me and then do a little internet surfing on the spot if I have the time. I am not real adventurous as I don't ever go with anybody that knows any more than I do about shrooms...

Yeah, what both of them said. You do have some edibles, but do toss them. I should qualify what I said early about us helping by posting pics..... if you are at the point where you have done some research on your own and nearing positive by that, by all means get some pics up and we can help in making a more informed decision...... but, have an idea of what you think they might be, if you got them on wood, on soil, were the grouped, do they have gills, false gills, what mimics are out there, ect......the pics also do need to be fairly good quality, multiple shots, and most often with ALL sides of the mushroom. These somewhat negative responses are just to protect you and others viewing this. We do have a lot of fun on this forum, but just going out and picking random shrooms is dangerous! You do have a few nice specimens though and congrats on that. Would rather have you be able to tell us which ones YOU think are edible and why wink

I am not real adventurous as I don't ever go with anybody that knows any more than I do about shrooms...

Me neither, for good or bad, have been completely self taught, and truthfully, rarely have used the books. Am doing this for fun and just go after the "easy" ones with plenty of pics and info off the internet to cross reference. Similarly, try to stay away from things that use big words needed for their identification. In the weekend edible thread I mentioned about a dozen rather easily identifiable ones that would be a good place to start for someone wanting to get into this. While they are rather easily identifiable, you still need to put in some time making them so. Or as Matt mentioned/listed in the same thread, their are groups out there that, if you are able to participate in, can cut this time down considerably.....

I don't know about the bad touching the good, but I do know that you shouldn't eat anything you're unsure of!

1. Oysters

2. Hericium

3. No clue without better pics

4 & 5. Can't see 'em

6. Shaggy mane, great edible early

7 & 8. Can't tell from pic

Might have some entaloma in there... puffballs or earthballs as well.

Those are all guesses. Never trust an internet ID!! Also, when looking for HELP with an ID, be sure to get up close pics of the top, underside, and stipe.

Congrats on a good, fun day! Now toss those and do it again, guide and camera in hand!

As mentioned, Mushrooms Demystified is kind of the bible of mushroom hunters. I've been doing this a couple of years and that book is still overwhelming and has limited color pictures. Order "100 Edible Mushrooms". This was my first, and is still my favorite mushroom book. It covers 90% of the edible mushrooms you will find in the area. It will lack a few, like the Elm Oysters, which is what I believe you found growing out of the knot holes in the trees. While you have at least 3 edibles there that I would feel safe eating, I would throw them all out if they were put into the same bag. This is why I usually carry a couple extra bags, and if I find a new species I throw them in so I do not have to worry about contaminating my good edibles.

Welcome to this fun hobby! Visit here often as it's a fun forum! Good luck, and be careful!

PS Look up Hen of the Woods and Chicken of the Woods. These are safe edibles with a little bit of research, should be plentiful in the next few weeks, and are delicious!

Looks like you will get along here just fine smile As Nowiser suggested, would google the two he mentioned and go out and find some oaks! Don't know exactly where you live but should be pretty good pickens along the river valley. Also, I can hardly tell the difference amongst the subspecies of the Hericium family, but anything white, frilly, and dangly is usually good to go wink Check out lions mane, goats beard, and bears head tooth......