• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Zipper question

Scoot

Question

I've got a hunting jacket that I absolutely love. However, there's one piece of the jacket I don't like- the colar. I wear the jacket bowhunting and if I don't zip it up all the way, the colar sticks out too far and it catches my string, which screws up my shooting. If I zip it up all the way it's like a super high, rigid turtle neck and is uncomfortable.

So... I'd like to cut off the colar and have it sewn up. I don't think this would be a problem, except for the zipper in front. To cut off the colar all the way, I'd have to cut off the top 2 1/2" of the zipper. Can I do this? Can I cut it off and somehow put on some sort of zipper stop? I'm in completely uncharted territory here, so I'd bring it in to someone who knows what he/she's doing to get this done. I'm just wondering if it's even possible? If yes, any suggestions on who/where I should be looking to find someone who can do this in the Fargo/Moorhead area?

Thanks!

4 answers to this question

Many shoe shops do sewing. As far as a zipper, I am pretty sure you will need a new zipper, not that spendy at all. I had a new one put in a winter coat locally for under $20 and that included a heavy duty zipper in the cost.

Many housewives that can sew well can install a zipper if they have a sewing machine. My wife has done numerous zippers and she says it's not that hard. She was going to do my winetr coat but she was waiting for a part for the foot I believe.

Found Olson Awning and Canvas in Morehead that does zippers in an internet search, here's the address.

118 9th Street North

Moorhead, MN

(218) 233-4411

They may require you to bring a zipper in but Jo-Ann Fabris shop should have a zipper and the gals in those stores are very helpful.

Or, if your not in a huge hurry, ship it to me and I would ask my wife to do it for you.

Thanks Tom. I've actually done business at both of those places and didn't think of either one. I'll do some snooping and see what they can tell me.

Thanks for the offer for your wife doing the work too- I appreciate it! However, I'll try get it done locally and see what I can come up with...

Thanks again!