• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The price you pay to hunt state land.

Boar

This just su cks, went into check bait today , nothing disturbed but my camera box empty. Some scum opend up my box, tok my camera an politely closed the lid an put the thumb screw. Nothing else was messed with. I shoulda took measure futher an put a lock on it but it would only dertered him for a bit as he woulda got it sooner or later. Thats the gamble i guesse. Gonna take the box to the sherriffs office an dust for prints to see if there is a hit in the data base. Lower end unit but still su cks.

That blows! Hope you find the donk. I have my cam up on some prime state land and I wont be there until tom to get it. It is in an unlocked box as well, but I think it is well off the beaten path. Been sitting there almost 3 weeks. Now ya got me worried. Nothing ruins your day quite like what you went through. And its not just the loss of the unit. U might have had some awesome picks on there and you will never know. Hope you get rewarded with a nice animal this year for your trouble!

I have never "lost" anything on state land. I have had several stands, at least 5, and climbing sticks taken from private land. It just makes you wonder how often people are walking around where you don't really expect them to be.

Yea, Im keeping a stiff upper lip an accepting it cause my drive is to get my daughter a bear an bad attitude will take away from it. So im moving forward, still got the site going jsut not with a camera. An I'm cool with that. Just gatareplace the cam.

Sorry to hear about this boar. It should not be a gamble to take to place your stuff out there. It comes down to the no good tools that have no respect for other peoples stuff. I hope karma comes around to those kind of people. Good luck

People can really suck, sorry I always worry too. I bolt, and double cable mine to the tree they would have to destroy camera and chop down the tree. I figure if they gona take it I'd rather neither of us have it smile

that really sucks and I know how you feel as I've had stands and cameras takin from state land. Unfortunately I was told anything on state land is public and your taking a risk anytime you leave something out.

Anything you leave out is most certainly NOT public. That's like saying that if you park your car parked on the street, it's a gamble because if you leave it there it's public. No, it's still privately owned. Is it a gamble to leave valuables on public land because they might be stolen -- yes, of course....but if the world was full of good people, it wouldn't be a problem at all. You don't forfeit your rights to the camera because it was left on public land.

People can really suck, sorry I always worry too. I bolt, and double cable mine to the tree they would have to destroy camera and chop down the tree. I figure if they gona take it I'd rather neither of us have it smile

Are the cables similar to this bicycle cable lock which was defeated in less than 10 seconds:

That is disappointing so early in the game. I had the same problem, with people routinely invading my bait stations on public land. Never lost a camera though.

This jackhole knows where you're at now, and will likely come back. He'll ruin your baiting efforts for sure on that site. If I were you I'd move to another location.

Perhaps Jonny's idea of leaving a camera high up in a tree on the trail that won't get noticed...after you move the station? You could possibly catch the jerk returning to the scene of the crime?

We are baiting up around Bowstring Lake on State ground and have been hunting up there since 2008. Checked our bait sight and got some jerk on camera taking our logs off the bait and tossing them as far as he could. He completly destroyed our sight, but didn't take our camera, which is hard to believe. This really irritates me because, we are driving 5.5 hrs just to get up there, and have been planning this trip for the past 2 yrs. Bear baiting is alot of work and for us its tough to get people in our group up there to check baits with our jobs. Hopefully when we all get up there, we will run into him. He won't like the outcome when he finds out our professions.

No much thicker and they are tight to the tree so can't get much around it to cut it. Nothing is indestructible but its going to take tools and some work to get it off .

Exactly. I have cheap locks and cables on my camera after getting one stolen (luckily recovered because the thief was not very smart). Nothing is going to stop a guy from getting your camera if he wants it, but at least with a bolt/cable lock/whatever you are preventing a guy randomly walking out in the woods from simply unclipping your camera from a tree

Anything you leave out is most certainly NOT public. That's like saying that if you park your car parked on the street, it's a gamble because if you leave it there it's public. No, it's still privately owned. Is it a gamble to leave valuables on public land because they might be stolen -- yes, of course....but if the world was full of good people, it wouldn't be a problem at all. You don't forfeit your rights to the camera because it was left on public land.

Kind of a slippery slope you're talking about. What if I leave my lawnchair at a campsite and someone takes it a week later? Are they a thief? What if I leave my beer can? Am I littering or just keeping it there until later?

When it is ok to leave private property on public land or lakes? We leave ice shacks on public lakes in the winter, but I have a feeling you can't leave your boat moored in the middle of a lake all summer. Stands have to be taken out each night, but cameras not? Ok to leave bait, but not ok to throw your cheeseburger on the ground. At what point does a camera or other piece of equipment become abandoned?

I dont have an answer, but its not simply "dont touch my stuff". Lots of possible scenarios with not a lot of answers. (this is not meant in reference to Boar camera. Sorry you lost that one man.

I checked that bait toda to see if my cam was put back, an no. No guilty conscience there. No hit either, an nothing messed with, had another cam along an wanted to put it up an hide to try to catch anyone going in, but now am gn shy of it unless I can get it elevated, looking down didnt bring foot pegs next time. Not giving up! theres bear in there seen the tracks, acorn by the bizzillion. Time heals all cam wounds an rewards with a biguns, Thanks for the sorry's boy's. Good luck this weekend, calm yourself, shoot straight an give thanks, later baor

Had another bait sight desroyed and got the guy on camera. He also took a leak on the bait sight. Of course a bear hit it before he showed up. Took the pic of him to the Bowstring grocery store and was told that it was the guy who lives across the road from the store. Apparently he bear hunts as well. You would think being a bear hunter, he would know all of the work that is involved in baiting and would'nt do that. What a poor sportsman!