• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Broken Rods Are Awesome

SkunkedAgain

Over the years I've read several threads about guys exchanging their broken rods for new ones. Personally, I won't do it because I am quite sure that stupidity insurance was not included in my purchase price. That said, I have to admit that I've had really good luck with most of my broken rods. Case and point - this past weekend we hit the BWCA for a short trip. My 6' light action with the broken tip consistently brought in smallies from shore. My 5.5' medium that is now only about 4.5' has been my trusty trolling rod for years. Pike pike pike all weekend.

Do others keep using their broken rods too or does everyone return them for new ones when they get a scratch?

I don't believe in stupidity insurance either. The wife broke a cabelas brand rod because she tightened some braided line down with a jig hooked in the keeper. I've explained to her that sure, rods bend, but they aren't made to bend with that angle. Took it back, got a new one, and broke it the same way two weeks later. Got a new one and fell on it on some granite in the boundary waters. two casts later it snapped in half. She still blames "crappie manufacturing" crazy It's best to just let her do and think her own thing.

I have only broken the tips on a few and I take it as a sign I need to build myself a replacement rod. Haven't broke a home built rod, but when I do, I'll take it as sign I need to build another one smile

I take the tip end (if it is intact) and drill a hole in a dowell, glue the rod tip in the dowell and bigo....a nice cheap ice rod.

+1

I am pretty careful these days, but in my youth I broke a fair number of rods and have several ice rods to show for it. If I just break off up to the first few inches, however, I replace the top with a new top and use it for trolling or fishing in heavy weeds.

I guess it depends on the brand I'm using....some rods--even those with a lifetime warranty--definitely are lower quality than others. I've never had a St Croix or a Fenwick break on me (apart from me doing stupid stuff like closing them in the tailgate of the truck).

Other rods, though, I've broken through fighting fish (not particularly big ones), casting lures (yes, with a lure that's within the weight range set by the manufacturer), or from setting the hook (not a professional bass fisherman hookset, I should say) on a rock (I can't be the only one who makes this mistake once in a while...). If a rod breaks while in "normal" use, I will return it. Thankfully, I've never broken a high quality rod during normal use, so so far I've been lucky.

Other rods, not so much. I was throwing biggish (#7) raps in the river last fall last year on a 7.5' medium-action rod. Monofilament line. I loaded up the rod to make a long cast and the rod snapped in half. That one definitely went back to the store. I guess I've more or less stopped buying the store-brand rods now because of these problems....better, in my opinion, to have fewer but higher quality rods.

20+ years ago, I asked the owner of a local sporting shop, "What is the real difference between a $50 rod and a $250 rod." He instantly replied "Not that much other than they will replace it if you break it." I appreciate the quality rods for action and sensitivity but I also have no problem sending the broken ones back no matter how they broke.

well if you can't pick up a $50 rod (hold in one hand) and a $250 rod (hold in the other hand) and you can't seem to tell a difference then by all means buy the $50 rod....but I have never even held a $50 rod that compares to even a $100-$150 rod on feel and sensativity. But then again it depends on certain manufatures and where they get there blanks or what type of blank they are using. I have a light action Shimano Claurus ($70) that compared to the same length and action rod in a St. Croix premier ($110-$120) the Shimano is so much stiffer that the two don't even seem like they are both light action.

Who cares about sensitivity anyways? I'm too busy looking for fish that you KNOW when they bite! laugh

You can keep the wet socks you're fishing for to yourself.

I've never broken a $30 rod in a way that wouldn't have broken a "similar" $250 rod.

Rod lockers are my biggest enemy. Seems like the lid always slams shut at the most inconvenient times. Broke two rods over the years on hook sets, one when a small fish wrapped me on a dock post, snapped right in two. Second was about a month ago, set hook, rod snapped in two different places, just exploded. Fish was still there, 13 inch LM. Second rod was 14 years old, didn't owe me anything.