• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Just spray a half bottle of permothin and a small bottle of the 100 deet bug spray over your whole body. I haven't been bit by a mosquito in years.

On a more serious note, I am going with a buddy to take his kid to youth Waterfowl day. Can I shoot geese while the kid shoots ducks? We are only letting him water pound the birds, and the geese don't use that pond much, but fly over low enough to take some passing shots. I would think it would be legal for me, but not for my friend if he is the adult in charge of the kid.

On a more serious note, I am going with a buddy to take his kid to youth Waterfowl day. Can I shoot geese while the kid shoots ducks? We are only letting him water pound the birds, and the geese don't use that pond much, but fly over low enough to take some passing shots. I would think it would be legal for me, but not for my friend if he is the adult in charge of the kid.

No...if I read and remember it correctly that the mentor or anyone over the age of 18 can not have a gun with the youth during the hunt unless you guys go goose hunting and not bag a duck over water or field you guys are OK. I could be wrong but read the Regulations, or call a DNR/CO officer.

I'm looking forward to opening weekend, went scouting and found decent #'s for this time of the year in different areas along the way. Temps won't be too bad in the morning with low to high 50s at least up here with reaching highs of 75-80.

NO it is not legal for you to shoot geese unless you are by your self and the kids are with another adult that is not hunting.

The CO told me last year its a gray area even if we were all hunting geese and that it probably would not be legal.

Youth Waterfowl Day = Kids only, easy way to look at it.

I'm Fired-Up! I have 2 fields out west all lined up to hunt, then my brother in law calls me yesterday to tell me the farm he works at in the metro area has had about 200 geese come in there the last few days and asked me if I wanted to hunt there. Well heck ya! So morning metro hunt Saturday then sunfish fishing out west! Hunt Sunday and Monday in my fields! grin

Gonna be calling over decoys this weekend - where I hunt the geese are spread out over public and private land and I am restricted to the public, but they do decoy easier. Gonna be doin some combination goose hunting and bow scouting as well. The heat sure won't make the walk any easier. Last year the skeeters were horrible - didn't even bring the dog out cause she would have gotten eaten alive. This year we will definitely be bringing the bug spray.

I may be running a little thin on people the second weekend of early goose (roughly 8th-13th, so I thought that this would be the perfect oppertunity to 2-3 people along. You don't need any decoys or layoutblinds. as long as you have your gun, ammo, licenses/certificates you'll be good to go! I would prefer this to be a "take a kid hunting" kind of thing (of course thier parent can come hunt too!) If you are coming from a long distance, Ill be very straight forward with you to come or not. I'm not going to make you drive all the way if there aren't enough birds around! The dates will be tentative..I REALLY want this to be an experience that some of you have not witnessed before. I will keep this an open invite until until the time comes!!Thanks everyone.

Just got done scouting for MN opener; looks like we'll either be in edible beans or chisel plowed wheat. either way I've got some mudding do to on the blinds. Best goose numbers were in wheat stubble, but it seemed like any silage cut corn field over 40 acres had 6 or 7 birds in it. Not putting much stock into opener; the best roost is on public land so that will get blown up at sunrise. Dove numbers are insane though and that should be a good time as always.

Got your check list filled out?

Once I left my calls on the coffee table at home during early goose opener and i had to use my friends old style wooden goose call that in most psrt sounded like a fog horn on Lake Superior! shocked

Slow morning in the west metro. Didn't hear a lot of shooting, but We still managed to see a couple flocks. Couldn't get them to decoy, but hey, the weather was beautiful, and it felt great to be back in the blind. Maybe this evening will be better.

Talked to a couple others and it sounded like they had similar experiences. Hope you guys all managed better!

Be safe, and Have fun!

A big fat 0 for us this morning! only saw a few flocks a mile or so out. not much for geese but the ducks, oh my god!!!! Its gonna be a good year for ducks! tons and tons of ducks. we were pickin up decoys at 9 am and the ducks were still flyin.