• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vexilar edge

slurpie

Question

What is peoples opinions on these units? Just bought a boat and looking for a graph for it. ran hummingbird before. But exploring options now want to spend under 2 grand, a charplotteris a must and side image. Thanks for replies.

4 answers to this question

No help on the edge, but I would stick with HB. Their customer service is superior to lowrance in my opinion. And menu navigation and usability are way easier! HB also sends out software updates for free. Don't quote me but I think lowrance charges for them. I would recommend buying the largest unit your budget allows. I myself bought an used unit and have had no problems. And if I do, I can send it in and get it repaired approx. 3 times before reaching the price of a new one! And with the ability to link a HB with a minnkota i-pilot it is definitly an upgrade to think about in the future. Hope this helped a little.

Don't listen to the HB fanatics misinformation.

Lowrance does not charge for software updates and their customer service is just as good.

Their customer service used to be bad but they have fixed that. And yes, I have used their CS for free replacement parts under warranty.

If you an, try them out and pick the one you like.

Don't listen to the HB fanatics misinformation.

Lowrance does not charge for software updates and their customer service is just as good.

Their customer service used to be bad but they have fixed that. And yes, I have used their CS for free replacement parts under warranty.

If you an, try them out and pick the one you like.

Unless you are saying their cs has turned it around in the last year, then you are the fanatic, just for Lowrance. Just last spring I spent months leaving messages, sending emails, waiting for promised return phone calls. Paying to ship the unit in, then they tell me after it is there, they want me to pay $400 to swap out the unit, or wanted $100 for telling me it is bad, and instead of repairing it, they just told me I need to replace it. This was continuing issue, since my unit had problems since I got it. I will never spend a dime of my money with Lowrance ever again. I can handle a bad product here and there, I can handle being over charged for their products, but I refuse to have to ever go through the hassle of talking to their CS ever again, They were rude, they swore, they hung up on you, and thats just the few times you could actually get a live person, and not a recording. It doesnt pay to leave a message, because they wont return it. Dont bother wasting the key strokes of sending an email, because they wont answer that either. If Lowrance was the only option out there for fish finders, or GPS, I would rather slam my head in the water, and just look for the fish myself.

And if anyone is curious on how I really feel about Lowrance, just ask, I wont sugar coat anything.

And as for the OP question, I know nothing about the Vexilar Edge, but they have an awesome CS, I know that.

I spend a lot of time on the phone with CS at both Lowrance and HB. They are both really good. Anyone who tells you that HB is better than Lowrance has not talked to both of them in the past year or two. I would put my money these days on shorter wait times and better technical support with Lowrance ..... but really, they are both good and I don't think there's enough of a difference here for this to be a reason to choose one brand over the other.

Lowrance holds pretty tight to their 2-year warranty. Within the warranty period they will take care of you and there are no charges other than shipping. If it's past the warranty ...... well, then it's past the warranty. HB used to be generous about extending warranty coverage past the warranty date, but that seems to have ended and we have been hearing some complaints from guys who were expecting to get free service past their HB warranty. Within the warranty period they are both great.

RE: the Vexilar Edge, they're not very popular at all but they guys who have them seem to really like them. You will get MUCH more capabilities and features with either HB or Lowrance than you will with an Edge.