• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hello, I was born in Platte and grew up in Vermillion and fished the river quite a bit growing up. I live near Brainerd now. I'm going to meet my brother up in the Waubay area somewhere to fish the first weekend in October. We have a boat. Haven't booked a hotel/resort. Not sure where to fish--Waubay, Enemy Swim, Roy, Bitter, etc. We would like to catch smallies and a couple walleyes to eat. After that, watch some college football at the bar, have a beer or two, and solve the world's problems. Any advice on lodging or lakes would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Sam

I would second Roy Lake Resort as a choice. Its a fishermans resort with very basic cabins, very old school. The campground there is great if you prefer to ten. Fishing is generally good in the fall. Another choice would be to stay in Webster and day trip to lakes.

I stay at Lynn Lake Lodge in Webster. They are not on the water but have great amenities. They are 1 mile from Lynn Lake 8 miles from Waubay etc. We day trip to other lakes as well.

Mwal

The above suggestions are good. Roy is a very good smallmouth lake. For walleye, Bitter Lake or Waubay Lake would probably be better options. Webster has some good accomodations as well...

Post again when you get closer to your trip, and we might have a fishing report/update for you...

Appreciate the responses guys. My brother booked us at Roy Lake Resort. Will get up there thurs 4:30-5:00 Oct 4th. Worth trolling cranks at dusk or at night when we get there? I have no pride and will gladly accept any advice. Thanks, Sam

Well the weekend of our Roy Lake area fishing trip is right around the corner. I see the temps take a nose dive w/ highs in the 40's while we are there. Oh well. We are C & R smallie fisherman, but would keep a walleye if we bumped into one. Any tips would be appreciated. Crankbaits? Drop shot? Plastics? Depths? Locations? Whatever. Good places for a burger and beer? Thanks and have a good week.

I know what you mean. The river up here has a good crankbait bite going right now. This cold snap should liven them up a bit I hope. Hard to drive 200 miles to catch fish that are going pretty good in my backyard right now. But, you got a try new things once in awhile. Should be fun.

Work the structure coming out north from the island in the middle of Roy lake for a variety of fish...walleye, northern, smallies...any given bite could be any of these fish.

Troll up and down along the west shore for northern...

Thanks for the info. Had a great time. Weather beat us up pretty good, but we bundled up and worked hard. My brother got a 31 1/2 walleye out of Roy 7:15 on thurs night in the freezing rain trolling raps. Struggled on Roy, but had good luck w/ the smallies and one nice walleye on Clear Lake casting DT_10's off the weedline. We'll be back. Figure the weather can only improve. Roy Lake Resort was perfect for what we needed. DirecTV to watch football and have happy hour after fishing was outstanding.