• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pickled Venison Bologna

A friend of mine has some surplus rings he's trying to get rid of before this year's season. He's giving me a couple and I thought I might try and pickle some of it. I've had pickled beef bologna before and it was awesome. I've never tried something like this before. Anyone else ever do it or have a method they wouldn't mind sharing?

Just chunk it up into your brine - salt, vinegar, water...

I typically add crushed red pepper and garlic to mine. cool

A 3-2-1 brine is what I work off - 3 cups water, 2 cups vinegar, 1 tablespoon salt... Some like more salt or vinegar...

Try and wait a few days before sampling. I know bars keep this stuff out on the bar but I feel better about it being in the fridge, plus i prefer it cold.

Polish kielbasi is great this way also...

Finally got around to doing this. It worked GREAT. Thanks Dark Cloud, for the method. I did 3-2-1 method by the book for this batch, went with your garlic and crushed red pepper suggestion and also added some onion. I let it sit for 5 days before trying.

obviously it's not something a guy would do with ALL his sausage, but it makes for a great snack with a beer. It's also an interesting conversation starter. Think I'll bring a jar to deer camp laugh

I did not heat my brine at all and pored it over the Bologna right after I mixed it. The Salt seemed to dissolve fine without heating it, in my case.

One interesting thing that I was not expecting was that the bologna was actually less salty-tasting after pickling than if I were to boil or grill it. I'm not an expert on pickling science, but does some of the salt within the bologna actually get extracted during the process? Seems counter-intuitive that a salt bath would make it less-salty. Maybe the vinegar just overpowers it.