• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pickled peppers

Anyone have a recipe for pickled peppers? I have a bunch of hungarian yellow, hot red cherry, and jalapanos. I tried to do up a couple batches last year from some internet recipes, but none were to my liking. The water bath process seemed to mush em up. Also, the brine wasn't what I was looking for. Trying to find a flavor similar to the sliced pepper rings from the jar, or even a pepperoncini. Any ideas?

You need to do a 3 to 1 ratio of vinegar and water so 1 cup white distilled vinegar to 3 cups water and 3 tablespoons pickling salt. I believe these are the bare minimum for salt and acidity for safe canning. I do pickled jalpenos. I cut them in slices ( if you dont like them too hot remove the seeds with a filet knife before slicing them. In the sterilized canning jar stuff two cloves of garlic, 3 heads of dill ( can substitute dill seed or dried dill) and cram full sliced peppers. Boil the water, salt and vinegar. When it comes to a boil pour into jar leaving 1/8 inch head space at top and seal. Leave these on the counter till they cool. You should hear the tops pop when they seal. Remove the bands and store for a minimum of 2 weeks to get the dill flavor. Check periodically that the top are still sealed. This will keep the peppers crunchy by not reprocessing them in hot water. I have gone at least two years without any problem. Have not been able to test them beyond two years cause my daughter and me eat a ton of these.

I just did serrento and jalpeneo rings with this recipe and the serrento I sliced in half the long way and let me tell you they are great on sammies.

They did not get soft and mushy either.

I also pickled some serrentos but havent broke into them yet and if they mush a bit thats ok I want these for my veni summer sausage

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2892273/3/Green_and_Red_chillies

I also did a bunch of varieties today ...kind of in the vein of Eurolarva looking at "recommended safe" measures.....with 2 cups rice vinegar(cheap at asian markets) 2 cups water, and 1/4 cup canning salt. I did cook mine for 10 minutes in a water bath after, so hopefully they won't turn out too mushy....like I mentioned in another thread, never used to care, but now a little more careful with a youngster around.....little dude is 6 and putting sriracha on stuff...pretty cool!

I just made relish with the pickle recipe that Dark Cloud has and the Candied Serrento peppers that I made and its a Blue ribbon winner all the taste of the vinegar with the hot bite of the peppers. great in tuna fish or I called a angry tuna sammy

Dewey-

I had the same problem last year. My new recipe is similar to Eurolarva's other than I will be using a pinch of alum and a teaspoon of corn oil in each jar. No water bath either, sealing with a vacuum sealer. I think the water bath made them mushy and my brine had too high of a vinegar to water ratio.