• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which new products have caught your eye?

Jim Uran

Alright, getting back to the topic at hand here...

I know I've teased you with some of the new houses Clam are coming out with, so I will share one early... especially since everyone is excited about the new Eskimo shelter above...

I would like to introduce the Clam Big Mouth Shelter...

ClamBigMouthThermalSide-600x218.jpg

This is a shelter that Clam has been working on for a couple years and decided to release it this year. Similar to the Eskimo one above, this shelter expands at the front bar, giving you a lot more fishable space.

ClamBigMouthThermalFront.jpg

This shelter will be offered in both a full thermal and non-thermal. So two different options depending on what you're looking for in a shelter.

Both of the Clam Big Mouth models also have the popular Clam Swivel Seat (which is fixed), giving you comfort (fully padded) and portability. This seat will not fall out and you can keep-up with the mobility trends demanded of modern day ice anglers.

Swivel_Seat.jpg

Clam has also come out with a new way of expanding the poles. This system is call RPSX. You can now extend the poles very easily and you won't have to take your gloves off...

RPSX_Image.jpg

Here is some additional info on the shelter, along with specs...

Built off of the Fish Trap Scout frame, the Big Mouth has the unique ability to “expand” the fishable area by 30%! Fish one or two holes more effectively with ease. Unzip vertical zippers, expand the bottom porch pole and you have more room instantly. For the ultimate in comfort choose the Big Mouth Thermal, which includes a fully insulated top that will retain heat and reduce condensation.

- Lightweight one person shelter

- Flip -n - go pole system (non-extendable tubes)

- Setup size: 87” x 35”, Center Height: 58”, Weight: 38 Lbs

- Setup size “Expanded” 87” x 50”, Center Height: 58”

- Weight: 38 Lbs (Non – Thermal)

- Weight : 43 Lbs (Thermal Version)

- Fishable area: 10 square feet

- Fishable area “Expanded”: 13 square feet

Big Mouth: $349.99

Big Mouth Thermal: $399.99

The Clam Big Mouth will only be available at Gander Mountain this season.

Just add ice!! smile

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eskimo is coming out with an electric auger called the ION. It'll include an 8" auger, and I believe it weighs right around 21 or 22 pounds, cutting around 40 holes through 30" of ice. Retail should be around $499.

Personally, I just purchased a Lithium battery for my Icegator and looking forward to the massive weight shaving! After some issues last year with their customer service, I had all but turned my back on them. Over the last week, I've had a couple of very good conversations with 1. Their investor and 2. Greg the owner. I'm pretty confident in them once again, that I'll go back to recommending the 'Gator to anyone.

I'm looking forward to hearing the new Honda Strikemaster augers. I bet those babies will purrrrrr...

Clam looks like they have quite a few new options for pop up shelters, and look forward to walking around the "Six Pack." That thing looks awesome!

Just got an email about the new Aquaview DVR micro plus. If only I had an extra $500 laying around!!!

Really? I never have my gloves on when I push the buttons to fold UP my portable. I'm just finishing a long day of fishing usually and could use a good cool down, and haven't had a chance/need to put gloves on yet.

On the other hand, when I'm extending my poles on my otter, I have no problem doing it with my gloves on -- since the buttons don't have to be pressed.

I'm going on a limb and saying the number one complaint about these new houses will be this pole extension mechanism either freezing or breaking. Breakage would be my first bet. That plastic looks cheap. Time will tell.

I very rarely use a heater in my portable. On warm days I am outside hole hopping and on cold days I usually extend the poles and use it to hole hop, flipping it down at the hole, fishing, flip it up, walk to the next hole, and repeat. So my hands are usually a bit chilly before touching the cold metal with them. I certainly can see your point about them freezing or the plastic breaking.

Just looking at the pricing and specs, the eskimo looks like a good option too. The eskimo wide 1 is FULLY insulated, and costs 20 bucks less than the clam, which only has an insulated TOP.

Are you sure the wide 1 sides are insulated? I thought I read it was just the front top and back. From the picture it looks like the big mouth is fully insulated.

Just looking at the pricing and specs, the eskimo looks like a good option too. The eskimo wide 1 is FULLY insulated, and costs 20 bucks less than the clam, which only has an insulated TOP.

Are you sure the wide 1 sides are insulated? I thought I read it was just the front top and back. From the picture it looks like the big mouth is fully insulated.

The Eskimo Wide1 appears to be only insulted on door to top. However one would have to weigh the decision if you do really need a fully insulated version. With the heater on you be sweating to the oldies regardless if its insulated or not in my opinion due to small space.

I recommend actually visually & physically inspecting both units once their available on a show floor before deciding on purchase.

It has an insulated TOP because that's where all of the bothersome condensation forms. That new Clam looks sweet, and I can imagine myself sitting in one plucking off hungry gills and crappies all winter long smile

And since that's where the bulk of the heat would be escaping, yes I agree that the top is the first part of a house that should be insulated. It never hurts to insulate the sides, unless weight is a primary concern.

Speaking of weight -- has anyone checked out the new 4 inch plastic ... err, I mean "composite" auger from strikemaster? They say it's lighter weight just with the fisherman in mind, but I guess I've never heard people complaining that their 4 inch hand auger was too heavy in the past, so it seems like they're solving a problem that didn't need to be solved there. The old auger weighed 5.5 lbs (lazer 4 inch). I think the plastic flighting one is someting like 5 lbs. IMHO it's a way for them to make them cheaper and charge a premium smile Who knows.

I will take back what I said about the eskimo house being fully insulated, however -- I can't tell for sure but the sidewalls might not be insulated. The quilting definitely goes down the front and across the top.

I broke some of the pole push button clips on my clam denali, because i'm a maroon and tried to pop them on in -15 temps. Called up clam and they said to soak them in a bowl of warm water, then pop them on. Sent me a handful of replacements, free of charge.

I'm not complaining. And that Denali shack is fantastic.

Clam is really revamping up their line up of products. More of their new shelters:

I like this: Clam six pack hub shelters

Description:

Delivering more fishable area, this innovative design has six sidewalls instead of the traditional four seen in most hub-style shelters. Providing maximum fishable space for large groups of anglers. It folds down to a compact size for portability, and has an oversized bag for easy repacking. The 600-denier cover is flex-tested and has extra-large, 11mm poles. Comes with six ice anchors and tie-downs to safely secure it in windy conditions, and an oversized skirt provides ample snowbanking. Each panel has its own windows. Two doors. Imported.

Available:

2 models:

1550 Mag – Comfortably fits four to six anglers with 65 sq. ft. of fishing space.

Diameter: 9.4 ft.

Center height: 75".

Weight: 37 lbs.

1660 Mag – Comfortably fits five to seven anglers with 94 sq. ft. of fishing space.

Diameter: 11.5 ft.

Center height: 90".

Weight: 46 lbs.

Six-Pack-Hub-Shelter-300x204.jpg

Hub-Shelter.jpg

Also the new expanding switch back hub shelter:

clam-shelter-300x223.jpg

clam-shelter3.jpg

clam-shelter2.jpg

The clam big foot:

clam-bigfoot-300x196.jpg

bigfoot-interior.jpg

And new Ice Armor Ultra parka/bibs:

icearmor-gear-300x730.jpg

Quote:
I'm going on a limb and saying the number one complaint about these new houses will be this pole extension mechanism either freezing or breaking. Breakage would be my first bet. That black plastic looks cheap and it sticks way out. Time will tell.

These new clips have been tested in harsh conditions without any hiccups. The way they are designed won't break either, unless you drive your truck over them smile

Quote:

The thermal version of the Clam Big Mouth is a FULL thermal, all sides. It also has a fixed seat built onto the shelter, where the Eskimo has a triangle, fold-up seat, much-like you would bring camping...

The thermal version of the Clam Big Mouth is a FULL thermal, all sides. It also has a fixed seat built onto the shelter, where the Eskimo has a triangle, fold-up seat, much-like you would bring camping...

Matt's right, the new Eskimo flip overs, this includes the Wide1, FlipMo2, FlipMo3 all seem to have this new design folding square Versa ice chair. The seat is not fixed and can be folded or taken out. Also seems the FlipMo's arent fully insulated either, looks to be just Door and Top.