• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Unhooking big pike

TigerBlood

I like to troll for the walleyes and sometimes hook into the incidental pike. I have a net. But the dang pike keep flopping around like nuts...so I have multiple treble hooks, a net, fins and teeth to watch out for while trying to get them back into the water. Is there a trick to getting them to calm down so hooks can be removed more safely? I've had way too many close calls with getting a treble in my hand.

Small pike, I grab behind the gill plates.

Big pike, I get a FIRM grasp on the gill plates, same grip as taking photos. Be careful of the gills.

Keep jaw spreaders and use 'em as needed.

If multiple trebles are giving you problems with finding a grip, and trebles are outside of the fish's mouth, use long pliers to do some unhooking in the water.

If multiple trebles are giving you problems with finding a grip, and trebles are inside the fish's mouth, things get tricky and there is no real one-size-fits-all solution. I use a variety of just staying calm, trying to guide the fish into a good position, using jaw spreaders, restraining as possible, etc, to get hooks out.

I find the biggest pike are among the easiest fish to unhook. If I can grasp a gill plate safely, I can stabilize the fish and prevent it from hurting itself via flopping while I use long pliers to detach any hooks.

Unless I have a musky net, I don't net pike (exception for if I'm keeping a meal). A small net is worse than no net, and just makes a release more difficult.

Thanks for the reply. The small guys don't give me too much trouble because I can safely grab/control from back of head - same as you recommend. But the big boys always freak me out. I troll with rapalas...so there could be 3 trebles hanging out. I feel like I'm in a knife fight trying not to get stuck. Larger pike can be very powerful and when they turn/flop, there's not much I can do to stop them - especially when trying to get them out of the net. I was thinking about getting a pair of gloves...but I'm sure my buddies would say I should also buy a purse to hold the gloves - lol. Knock on wood - never had a hook in my hand yet. But way too many close calls....

Gloves will only protect you from cuts. Not the hooks! I use a bigger net.( not as big as my muskie one though!! grin) Many times if you stay calm and keep the fish in the water so they can breath; they will calm down some.If there are hooks on the outside; try to remove them with a long pliers.( buy a pr. that's 12-14 inches long! Well worth the investment!!)Usually one can grab them under the gil/jaw and remove the hooks. If you are reaally paranoid of getting hooked; buy a boga grip

Yup,

I go to the opposite side of the mouth from the hooks, run my index finger past the gill plate and grip the inside lower jaw. Be careful to stay low and not touch the gills. You should then have a ogrip on firm jaw tissue away from gills and teeth. Even if they thrash a little, you should be able to maintain this grip and the fish will calm down. Quickly go to work with the pliers and return the fish to water.

Thanks for the reply. Good advice on the long pliers. I'll definitely upgrade as that should help. The Boca Grip is interesting...and maybe a separate topic. I think I've read some reports that they can harm fish. But the flip side is I'm not doing them any good letting them flop around in the boat because I'm scared to get too close to the thrashing/hooks.

Maybe the occassional treble through the hand is the price of catching nice fish :-). I've been very, very lucky so far. My only hook in the hand was a single walleye hook and it wasn't too deep. Big pike are really the only fish that give me trouble - primarily because they seem to thrash more and they are slimy/hard to hold firmly.

Try going barbless. Manitoba has a barbless hook law, and I've done a few pike trips there. With 3 trebles on a lure, you don't need barbs. Most of my plugs are now barbless. In fact, on many of mine, I remove the front treble just to make releasing fish easier. I catch just as many as the other guys in the boat.

No matter the size - I usually try to get a grip behind the head just above the gill plates. Squeeze in gently and most of the time that will subdue the fish and keep it from flopping around. It takes a pretty big fish to not be able to get your hands around that area. Then you can get your needle nose in and around the hooks and it usually goes smooth. I know a lot of the posters suggested to get a firm grip under the gill plate - I find that most of the time that doesnt do much to subdue the fish and I think that is the most important thing. But try both methods and see what works best for you.

Dick's Sporting Goods carries a $15 version of the Boca Grip and it works fantastic. Once they are hooked there it doesnt matter how much they flop. I have noticed that Pike seem to get pretty well behaved once you start working the hook out. I cant remember the last time a Pike started flopping once I started hook removal.

Get a grip. Its so much better than a net.