• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Duck hunting water craft.

Vee style boats ride deeper in the water and can be heavier that a flatbottom jon style boat.

It is easier to push pole a flatbottom thru weeds than a vee style boat.

Vee style boat is more stable in big water,or easier to control in the wind.

They both work great and they also both have there place for waterfowl hunting.

Vee stlye boats ride deeper in the water and can be heavier that a flatbottom jon style boat.

It is easier to push pole a flatbottom thru weeds than a vee style boat.

Vee style boat is more stable in big water,or easier to control in the wind.

They both work great and they also both have there lace for waterfowl hunting.

+1 Great reply!! I've got 16' V-style but I've been looking everywhere for a used 16' jon boat. My V style weights a ton and is difficult to pull up on shore.

We have 16' semiV with 50, 14' semiV, 12' semiV, Cartens Pintail, two Cartens Puddlers. For big water, the 16' is awesome, with nice blind and lots of room and stable. Can hunt 3 guys real comfortable. But we bring a Puddler with us to retrieve birds often (no dog).

But I gotta say, it is the Carstens smaller boats (or Otter type) that I think get us more birds, to better areas, and open up more access for us. You can only paddle them, but you get in small water and cover up and blend in so well that they are best hunting $$ we ever spent. And two of them fit in a pickup very easy, so low cost (no trailer) and easy in and out. But don't take them if there are any waves wink haha!

The 12' is a great in between boat, and still fits in back of pickup and can put motor on if you want, or you can drag it down a hill and row for more remote areas. Good luck!

What are the pros and cons of different watercraft for duck hunting?

Im thinking Im going to just get a 12-14ft conventional vbottom aluminum fishing boat but thought Id ask.

Thanks.

Can't go wrong with that for a duck boat. Especially if you will be on more open lakes. Might not work quite as well if your on smaller waters where you would have to drag it a bit. Good all around boats though.

had a deep v 14' for several years and it finally took on water from ice breakage over the years. Loved the boat for space and water ability. No wind ever stopped me from going. Had a custom made blind on it, stayed high,dry and warm on the coldest days. It was a heavy boat, held a 25hp motor with ease. was rated for a 40 I believe. yes i miss the boat because I had a ton of fun in it.

Now have a 1432 johnny that is a ton of fun. the open floor plan is amazing. there is just as much room sg ft wise because theres no benches in the way. It has float pods on the back that hold a 18hp go devil just fine and holds the 25hp outboard just fine. I have a custom made blind for this boat also. I was afraid of the stabilty and water capabilities of this craft. But I learned to watch were the weight was. And I have put the boat to it limits with decoys and wind that would keep most home. when times are dangerous on goes the life vest. I am very impressed on the performance of this craft.

Just like everything in this world there is a time and place everything. To be fully equipted with hunting boat you would really need 3 of them.

I've got an Otter 1200 and 2 of us can stand on one side of the boat and not flip it! It absolutely sucks to the water! It floats in 4" of water and is an absolute dream to float rivers in! You can sneak up on a flock of birds, turn the boat just slightly and you both can shoot. I've had a trolling motor on it a few times and it is a huge time saver on dead water. 600 bucks on sale at Fleet and you have a beauty of a boat! I did make a couple of light seats for it but that is the only mod I've done.

Over the years, I have had a C-14 Lund that worked out well on big lakes and was even able to carry it into potholes from road ditches and it was fairly stable.

I also and currently have a 12' Sears fishing boat that has to have more hunting hours than most boats in existance. 30+ years!

It only weighs 100lbs. from mostly old camo paint, but it takes a licken, and keeps on ticken! I can get this boat in any water!

I run my 1976 Lund Fish 'N' Ski which has all the chrome railings removed.

has a similar hull design as a Tyee and is real deep and super stable.

I can get this boat in less than a foot of water, and I have a blind I made out of conduit with green plastic fencing and I attached fast grass to that. Shot alot of ducks in this boat. + side to this is the swivel seats that make sitting for long periods easy!full-983-24175-lundduck&fish.jpg