• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tourney Limit ?

mabr

Does anyone know why some of the tournaments have an 8 fish bag limit? It makes no sense to me why in July and August you have that many fish in your live well with the heat of the summer to boot.

Just curious why they do it.

If the tourny has an 8 fish limit, that would be between 2 guys since the bass limit in Minnesota is 6. Most modern bass boats have 2 large livewells with good aeration systems. I don't think that having 4 fish in each livewell is too many. In some tournys, you and the person in your boat are not fishing as a team. In this case, each guy typically weighs in 5 bass each. Even with 5 fish in each livewell, my personal experience has shown fish mortality to be quite low.

I fish in a more layed back series on the weekends. I just started this year and it's my first time weighing in 8 fish. That is what we were concerned about too, my buddy has a great aeration system and it keeps them lively but we have pulled some nice fish and if we were to put 8 say 4lb fish in the well - things might get a little cramped! One of the reasons I know it's in place in this series is to prevent someone from fishing alone, it's to promote team fishing since the MN limit is 6.

With WI and IA cracking down on tournament bass limits during the summer, I am surprised our rule-happy DNR hasn't put any laws into place on this yet. Given the MNDNR's history of being somewhat hostile towards fishing tournaments, its just a matter of time before they plop some tournament bag limit laws in place imo!

I feel that with an 8 fish it better determines the true winning team. With the smaller limits a lucky 5 pounder will surely launch you in the standings, while with a high limit you have to have almost all nice ones. I do agree though that on the hot 90+ degree days the fish should always be placed back in the livewell for an hour or so before they are released again. Cuts WAY back on the dead fish IMHO...

Does anyone know why some of the tournaments have an 8 fish bag limit? It makes no sense to me why in July and August you have that many fish in your live well with the heat of the summer to boot.

Just curious why they do it.

MABR,

The tourney rules and restrictions are fairly general to accommodate many formats. Is it right during the hottest months of the summer? that's debatable. Each area manager is contacted with the tournament rules for each given tournament to approve them or not. If there is some doubt about a local resource, some of the area managers have put restrictions on the permit before it is approved.

On a side note: There is currently a tournament rule revision public comment period on the DNR HSOforum concerning some of the rules and potential revisions.

Tournament rules revision comment

Basschurch, wow!... Well, obviously some folks have a consideration for the future of the resource and some maybe not so much. Maybe it would be a good idea to think a little bit more about what we can do to pass on something better to our kids and grand kids. Just a thought. whistle

There are known physical stressors and mortality associated with weigh-in style events during hot water temperatures, it would probably be in the best interest of the tournament organizers to avoid scheduling events during July and early August to avoid even the perception of any issues... IMO

I think they should just drop the limit or change the weigh in fromat. To stop tournaments in July and early August would take away almost the entire summer pattern from tournament anglers. Why would it be in their best interest anyways? So the DNR wouldn't even need to pass a law prohibiting them during those months because we are just pushovers??? We love it. People in the future will love it. It's not going to affect future generations from catching fish nor is it a good idea to stop having tournaments to make people who are against them happy. We have a say too.

I wish I could edit my question now that I read it back. I never meant this to be a for or against summer tourny's. Wasnt my point at all.

It was strictly on how the 8 fish limit got started as I have never seen it anywhere but here in MN. Not sure who it was that said it shows who is the better team is right on. I know I ve been on the loosing end of that before, just couldnt get rid of 2 dinks and ended up in 5th in a Denny's tourney. The other mention about trying to make it a team event makes sense as well and a good one now that I think about it.

What spurred the question, I was looking on classic bass at the results and it can be confusing seeing 20-30 pounds and then see its on 8 instead of 5 fish limit.

On Leech Lake there will be approx. 10 bass tourneys this summer. Most of these tourneys have a 5 fish weigh in limit, but are allowed 6 in the livewell. IMO that is too many tournaments on Leech. The simple truth is that many of the bass caught in Boy or Portage Bays are hauled to the Walker end of the lake and will never return. The bass fishing on the north end of Leech for bass has gone downhill over the last several years. Stricter weigh in limits and tournament limits need to be in place.

Only ten? I live on a north metro lake and in the last three weeks, there have been at least 10 - maybe more. Talked to one of the participants and he told me there were two tournaments taking place at the same time. I'm really tired of baits being bounced off my docked boats but - I know what you're going to say: "You don't own the lake, blah, blah, blah." - that comes with the territory. I'm always polite and inquire how they're doing. But, I have seen a dramatic change in the number of 4+ pounders that I catch. I've been keeping a journal for 15 years and the fishing pressure is affecting the quality and quantity of fish. I'd like to see the tournaments go away.

I pulled a dozen 4+ lb fish (weighed them all) out of Leech in a 90 minute stretch on Tuesday, and today I spoke with a guy who did the same thing a day later - on the other side of the lake. I agree that there is perhaps too much tourney pressure on Leech (or at least the way fish are released needs to be revamped). But the bass fishing on Leech is still ridiculously good, and hasn't changed appreciably for me in the past few years.

I think they should just drop the limit or change the weigh in fromat. To stop tournaments in July and early August would take away almost the entire summer pattern from tournament anglers. Why would it be in their best interest anyways? So the DNR wouldn't even need to pass a law prohibiting them during those months because we are just pushovers??? We love it. People in the future will love it. It's not going to affect future generations from catching fish nor is it a good idea to stop having tournaments to make people who are against them happy. We have a say too.

Understood Tonka,

although, what exactly are you referring to with "I think they should just drop the limit or change the weigh in format."

I was just saying they can actively schedule to avoid the perception by others. Otherwise there very well may be more restrictions on tournaments. There is increased mortality in summer months, this is a fact, not fiction. All it takes is for one or two events to have [PoorWordUsage] poor survival and the lake shore owners, or even other anglers, will contact legislators. If you or any tournament organizer has any common sent at all, it would be in the best interest for them to make considerations on behalf of the health of the fish populations they are enjoying. One would think that groups could modify schedules to avoid the hottest water temps. Keep in mind, I also enjoy fishing tournaments. When the weigh-in process is done correctly, there is truly limited mortality. Unfortunately though, there are many groups that choose to do otherwise. Often times, these are clubs and not necessarily registered tournament groups. This gives us all a black eye. whistle

Those 4 lb bass used to be 5 or 6 lbs plus before all the tournament pressure over the last few years on the north end. I have been fishing bass on Leech for nearly 40 years. I fish mostly Boy or Portage and 25 to 40 fish released days were common. Maybe I am getting older, but seems to me the larger fish are getting smaller. I think it's time bass tourneys go to CPR with weights verified in the boat or points awarded by length, so the fish will be released in their home lake area without being transported across the lake.

Just a note to marineman - NO ONE has the right to bounce anything off your private boat docked or otherwise.

I agree with Tonka. A 8 fish limit separates the men from the boys.

People need to realize that a few dead fish isn't the end of the world. I always do everything I can to keep them alive and can remember 2 dead fish in the past 10 years in my livewell. Fisheries aren't going to be ruined by tournament mortality and the next generation will be just fine. Bass fishing in MN is fantastic and there is absolutely no reason to add more restrictions to protect it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I agree with Tonka. A 8 fish limit separates the men from the boys.

People need to realize that a few dead fish isn't the end of the world. I always do everything I can to keep them alive and can remember 2 dead fish in the past 10 years in my livewell. Fisheries aren't going to be ruined by tournament mortality and the next generation will be just fine. Bass fishing in MN is fantastic and there is absolutely no reason to add more restrictions to protect it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

+1

personally i think alot more harm is done by the people i see putting huge bass on stringers every year. i am a tournament director and i have seen way more big bass on stringers and in livewells headed for the chopping block than i have had my guys bring in dead. this year i did not weigh 1 dead fish. and as far as fish dying after they are released from stress i think its a rare occurence.

Well said Smallie. I agree that something should be done. MOre people should take the extra time to ensure their fish return to the lake healthy. That isnt always the case. I wouldn't be against dropping the limit of fish during high temp days at all. They could make it a 6 fish tourney during the meeting in the morning if they wanted. Also have the fish weighed in water. Anglers should never throw back a fish that is floating sideways or upside down. Drives me nuts. I picked up a four pounder last month after a tourney and it was upside down but its gills were still moving. I put in in the livewell. I went fishing again for a couple hours and then released her and she was full of life. Did she die later? maybe... but I watched a couple other guys just putz past and point at it. A lot of this issue comes from personal responsibility. And your right, these tournaments do give us our own black eye sometimes... frown

Kaine, true... there are more bass killed by people keeping them. That is their right. Not saying I do it. Even though tournements kill far less fish, when it does happen they are floating around like big anti tournament buoys. It puts a horrible image in the public eye. Its a complete waste of the resource to them and IMHO... There are ways to cut back on it too, but for some reason it is not being done. With fall coming this wont be an issue anymore, but next year I'm sure the same problems will happen again. Like I said before, individuals need to make sure they are doing everything in their power. For now that's all we can do on our end. The TD's also need to realize this and drop limits, change weigh in formats, and mandate that the fish not be dumped into the lake right after they are weighed and be put back into the livewells to recuperate instead.

well said tonka, i know myself as a director and also the other director in our league always tell our guys if they have a dead fish to never put it back in the lake and they are required to take it with them. also if a fish is struggling we have our guys try as hard as they can to revive it, if they can't they take it with them. also on days that it is extremely hot we spend alot of money supplying our guys with ice for thier livewells. also we recomend our guys use livewell additives i hope we are not the only league that litteraly does everything they can to keep the fisheries going. i know alot of tournament anglers that put alot of work into keeping the fisheries going. personally i think if it wasn't for us tournament guys that everyone looks so down upon, getiing involved in conservation programs and teaching the importance of catch and release and invasive species, the decline of the fisheries would be alot more rapid. not to mention all the new tecniques and tackle that are introduced every year with the help of tournament anglers. this is just my opinion. there are so many ways to look at the issue no one will ever have the right answer.

Putting a slight twist on this....

Tournaments are in general handling fish pretty well. Or as well as can be in the conditions of the event.

What chaps my behind in a lot of cases is the local "leagues".

There is FARRRRR less consideration for the fish. Generally they are run by guys that know nothing more than how to schedule a group of guys to go fishing.

I have witnessed many times over the last 10+ years, where groups do an absolute HORRIBLE job handling fish.

I fish in a local league, so we run into several other leagues at lakes over the course of the summer.

We do NOT do any weighin. All fish caught are released on the water. NO BAGGING of fish.

I have seen many times where guys pull the boat out, and use their dipnet to haul fish to their scales.... You gotta be frickin kidding me.....

Or what happens even more,,,, they use bags and dont put any water in them. pile the fish in, and stand around talking about where they were, etc.

I am not saying all league weighins are run bad, but there are a LOT that need to be slapped upside the head too.

Local leagues could use some help and a lot of help in many cases, but I can already hear the cries,,, "We dont need more regulations."

I would agree, but we all know many dont possess the common sense to do things better.