• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Heater for a 6x10?

waligators

I have a 6x10 wheel house and use my big buddy all the time. The big buddy works great but i really dislike taking it with me on and off the ice all the time because i never know when i'm going to venture out with the portable. So my question is which heater is going to be the best for the size of my house? The walls and ceiling all have 1.5 inch insulation and the floor has 2 inch so it warms up fast and keeps the heat in really well.

I have a 6.5 x 12 wheel house that I heat with a Empire (HearthRite) Ventless 20,000 BTU Blue Flame Wall Heater (~$270). I've never had an issue with CO when sleeping overnight in it (have two detectors installed), and it easily heats it up to over 100 degrees. Having a heater like this with a thermostat is worth it.

I have a big buddy and the regular buddy. 8x10 well insulated house. Big buddy heats the house up to 70 in about 10 minutes from dead cold. The little buddy takes maybe an extra 10 minutes. Once up to 70, either one on low maintains or exceeds 70. I usually have to crack a window to keep it at 70.

For my porty, I use the regular buddy. Takes up less space and I don't have an issue being a little cooler when I'm in the porty. Only on the coldest days do I sometimes wish I had the BB in the porty.

My point is, I like having both sizes of buddy heaters. I use whichever one feels right for the situation. One year I just left the buddy out there and never used the BB in the perm. It's plenty fishable inside by the time I get the holes scooped out even with the regular buddy heating the place from dead cold.

Having a wall mounted heater is nice, but I like my options of using either one for either perm or porty.

If I had a wheel house or sleeper, I'd probably go with a vented heater.

I am with Schmoe, vented is by far much safer, especially in a hard sided house. The ventless wall heaters are legal to sell, but do meet safety code, so are basically illegal to install.

i have a 7x14 winnebego camper for a fish house with lots of windows and im trying to find a permanent heating solution for this year too. Im planning on sleeping out there from time to time and im not interested in a ventless heater. What im considering is a wood stove. You can vent them through the roof and though i know its a bit more of a pain to keep it stoked with wood the price (can find them used for 50 bucks) is unbeatable compared to the 400-1000 price of a vented heater. Are there any problems with using a wood stove to heat your shanty for sleeping purposes? I would rather spend 50 bucks than spend 500

(obviously a fire is a danger but its not worth saying that cause its pretty aparent)