• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

trolling rod for rapalas

bumleg

I troll fireline (gets cranks deeper than mono), so I use a longer Med-light moderate action rod so it has some give and not tear hooks out of the fishes mouth. The rod is 8'6 two piece, also like synthetic handles over cork so I don'thave to worry about getting cork chewed up pulling out of the rod holders.

I like something in the 6'6-7' range, med power and a med/slow action. I like the slower tip, Rap's seem to tear out lees often than the faster action. With my trolling rods I find that they don't have to be the nicest things in the world, they do have to be kinda tough though. They take quite a beating when a big walleye or snake hits at 3+mph wink

I have one 8ft Jason Mitchell trolling rod that works very well.

I also built a 7ft med action with a slower action tip and that works awesome for pulling cranks for eyes and yet will handle a slimer if needed. This rod is a glass rod as it sits in a rod holder and I didn't see any reason why I needed a spendier graphite rod blank.

My trolling rods have EVA grips as stated above, the rod holder are very hard on cork.

For smaller, easy-pulling baits like #5 and #7 raps, I would use a 7' graphite rod with Med-Lite power and anywhere from a fast to a moderate action. These are easy pulling baits and I much prefer a 7' lightweight rod for this, much more fun to fish with in my opinion. I am not a fan of longer rods unless I'm pulling boards or leadcore.

But .... the key thing with any rod is get the one that feels the best to you.

Quote:
For smaller, easy-pulling baits like #5 and #7 raps, I would use a 7' graphite rod with Med-Lite power and anywhere from a fast to a moderate action. These are easy pulling baits and I much prefer a 7' lightweight rod for this, much more fun to fish with in my opinion. I am not a fan of longer rods unless I'm pulling boards or leadcore.

+2. 7 foot M/L fast action. Spinning. Light drag.

I use 10lb test Sufix Performance Fuse Metered Fishing Line. It is just a super braid that is color coded like lead core. It works for casting too.

Used an 8 foot 6 inch rod this year for the Canada Fall trip. First time I have used one longer than 7 foot. It outperformed everything in the boat.

I am going out and buying another 8 foot 6 inch...maybe even a 9 footer for this Spring.

BTW, the rod was a cabellas rod. I think they have like 3 styles...this was the top line one...usually 139.00 on sale for 89.00.

I will never go back to 7 footers for fast trolling deep diving cranks.

Will also never go back to any kind of braid. Good old Trilene XL outperformed the braid as well. Many side by side comparisons over 6 days of fishing. There was no comparison...8 foot 6 inch rod spooled with Trilene XL mono was the ticket.