• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lead core rod?

RIPN LIPS

Question

13 answers to this question

I have;

2 Cabelas Eagle 10'6" salmon rods. They work great!

2 Cabelas Depthmaster 5' rods. There are better options, pretty wimpy

2 Berkely Lightning 6' rods shortened with broken tips to 5'8". Great shorty rods

If I where starting out, I would go with either Okuma, Scheels or the St. Croix Eyecon trolling rods. I would have to put the Limit Creek trolling rods in that group too but they can sometimes be hard to find in a store.

If you fish with two rods I would go with either a 10 or 12' and a shorty. If you can only fish with one rod I would go with a 8'6"-9' rod.

Thanks for the info i bought a daiwa set up with a 9'8" and the rod seems to be pretty thick and meafy i am looking for a shorter rod with more of a lighter action to run a couple set-ups. what would you recommend for a shorty and do you run both out the same side of the boat?

If I am fishing where I can only use one rod per person, I run one out each side. I run the long rods for this. If I am on the river or in a state where you can run 2 rods (come on Minnesota, when are we going to be able to do this??) I run shortys out the back and the longer ones out the sides. I may run them up front for more separation if there is alot of debris in the water and things start to get tangled.

If I am running three rods per person, it's shorty's out the back, long rods as far forward as possible yet still in the back of the boat, and up front I will run a mono rod with a three-way/heavy weight to keep the mess to a minimum.

I like longer rods for leadcore as a rule, they are a bit more forgiving, so if I'm only running two rods I use Bass Pro Shops Walleye Angler Series WA10T-2 - which is a 10' 2-piece rod that handles leadcore very nicely.

Jim Carroll NPAA #13

I have not used them but have looked at them in the store. They should work just fine, but they will probably be a little on the wimpy side, much like the Cabelas depthmaster rods are.

Agreed... Not a whole lot of backbone to these. But they are the longest I could find that may fit the bill of a "wider" spread when not using boards. Hmmm.... Even a longer blank with the proper taper and spine might be the way to go... Another pair of customs!! Oh yea!!

Cabelas has their Fish Eagle II rods on clearance right now. These are the 10' rods that I use. Pretty decent for the money. Another rod to look at is the Okuma lineup. You will probably have to order them since they have't made it to this area yet, but they are a great rod for the money.