• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Laptop running hot

My HP laptop starting running very hot the last couple days. If I go into task manager and look at cpu usage wlcomm.exe was running at like 52%. I shut it off, and my computer runs much cooler, and everything seems normal, except windows live messenger doesnt work. If I start Windows live messenger back up, it starts running hot again, and wlcomm.exe is running again. What should I do, uninstall windows messenger? I do need the program for work.

What model do you have?

I have 2 HP's. My older one used to have a problem with heat but they released a Bios update that changed the fan settings and that really seems to have helped it.

My newest one is a DV7t and that thing runs terribly hot. In fact, one day I had the direct tv remote sitting a few inches away from the laptop where the fan was blowing on it and it actually melted the rubber on the control.

I have found that you have to keep them clean and blowing out the fan can help it but in the end it just plain runs hot.

Running at 52% wow...that seems like a lot. Have you checked Microsoft support or around more on the Internet to see if there is a fix/patch for that.

And, as PF said, be sure to blow out the fan and heat sink. Word of caution though, use a tooth pick or something to keep the fan blades from spinning when you blow it out. The make a really neat whizzing sound when they're spinning about 5 times faster than they should, but it'll ruin the fan.

It is a dv7-3065, I have had it for about 3 years, and yes, it does normally run hot, but this was super hot, and with the wlcomm program running, it ran super super hot. I shut the program off, and now it runs like it did before. I have done the update, and I have had had several issues with the main board over heating, and have had to replace it about every 10 months since new. Kinda bummin me out, because the 10 months is up next month I think.

I havent blown it out lately, and I will tomorrow, but that shouldnt effect the one program. Stupid microsoft mad

I doubt it's Microsoft, per se. Probably some funky interaction with your system because I doubt everyone running that program has high CPU utilization.

I understand it's different, but we run OCS/Lync and utilization isn't anything remotely like that.

Gotta love computor issues.

If you cannot get it resolved Scott, there is a fellow in Arlington on main street, PC repair and he is good and very cheap. The cheapest I have found to do any reapirs for me on my lap top or desk top. Jim is his name.

There are issues with some apps hogging up CPU time. And the CPU is the hottest running unit on the laptop. If it is forced to run at 50% all the time it is going to get warm and stay that way. Malware can also cause the issue as it runs all the time.

Good to hear you found the issue.

It is, but I am hoping to milk it out until spring. I have to buy my daughter a new higher end laptop for college,(she wants one with Windows 8) and was hoping to not have to buy 2 high end laptops this fall. I am not all that intrigued by the new Windows 8 design yet.

It is, but I am hoping to milk it out until spring. I have to buy my daughter a new higher end laptop for college,(she wants one with Windows 8) and was hoping to not have to buy 2 high end laptops this fall. I am not all that intrigued by the new Windows 8 design yet.

Better buy her a touchscreen laptop (tablet) then...Windows 8 is designed all around TOUCH. I'm running it on my work laptop and it sucks without touch capabilities. Feels like a touch version of windows 7 but I feel silly navigating it with a mouse.