• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Two man ladder stand

CC Hurl

Hi folks, I am wanting to get my seven year old daughter out on stand with me this year but have no idea who makes a good stand of this type. Just looking for some feed back on what some of you use and how you like them. I am willing to spend around the 250.00 mark for one. For me it is important that it's quiet,sturdy,and at least 16' high. I see some that look to be doubled up on the tube iron for the ladder anyway. Does this make a big difference when wanting to be quiet? I was hoping to find some on sale but no luck so far. Any pointers on how to hang one of these would be nice if you have the time. Thanks for your time.

CC, I've been using these the last couple years- ever since my son got old enough to come with me in the woods. I've used Big Dog and Big Foot brands (I think) and both are OK. Neither is particularly quiet, which I don't like at all. I've never bought an expensive ($250) one, but I'm told they aren't much quieter. If it were me I'd try get one fairly high- 17 or higher. However, they work great for getting kids out there with you.

Usually my son was in the stand like this:

IMAG0054.jpg

However, he found it comfortable enough to assume this position for a cat nap on most trips:

IMAG0058.jpg

There are a bunch of tips online on how to quiet down ladder stands- it might be worth a look...

walmart $108 ameristep 2 man, I have 2 of those out and are what your looking for, I also have 2 of the big dog menards versions and there the same price and just about the same quality. In other words I think you'll have money for 2! I recently gave my local welder a section of the 4ft section of ladder from the ameristep and he's duplicating the sections so I can have 19' 2mans @ the shooting rail. The ameristeps come with a nice seat and back pad...

I have bought a few from Menards as well and so far no complaints.

As far as the double ladder goes, it seems that in general the stands with the single ladders are quiter with less shifting but are less sturdy than the double ladders. This is just my opinion and I could be wrong. I have heard that if you use some good construction adhesive on the joints of the ladder extensions it will make it much more quiet. But then of course you cant really move it.

I have 1 expensive one and a couple of the menards ones. The only time any of them make noise is when I'm climbing them, and even that is minimal, just have to move a little slower and they quiet right down.

Seems that all the noise is coming from where the sections connect. I'm wondering if it would work to shim the joint slightly once its together to take up any slop (jam something in there)?

I usually bolt everything together, its a little pain in the butt when you want to move them but I usually just disconnect the ladder from the stand section for the haul. It's not perfect but does quiet them down.

+1 on the Menards double ladders- I have 1 or 2 from Walmart, they're the same stand, with slightly different cushion patterns. One might have a little hanging bag or a mesh net cradle under the seat, but the base construction came from the same factory. I have 5 total, they're all the same & all good.

Thanks again for the input everyone. Much appreciated. I ended up getting a two man ladder stand form Cabela's. It is from BIG GAME and is the one that went on sale today. They gave me the sale price when I got it on Tuesday so that was nice of them. Wow what a chalenge to get that in a tree and I am just practicing with it at home. Now getting it up were I want it in the woods is going to be another challenge. Think I may need to incorperate the tractor for the task. Not as easy as my hangers thats for sure.

I have another question to ask as far as a safety harness goes. What is a good one on the market for the little ones? I don't think I will be using one of them that come with the stand. Thanks again for your time.