• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Do you agree this is the best Ice Fishing and Open water jig for panfish?

WillCFish

Tubes like the one in the video can be great at times so can jigs like the Lindy Little Nipper or the Northland Gypsi jig. I don't think there is a best lure for all situations a person will encounter. You need to be versitile to catch fish consistantly.

I dont think that you can calim that there is a "best" jig or lure. Thats why they make so many. I think the best one for most people is the one that they have the most confidence in. That is the one that gests used the most and more often than not it will be the one you will catch the most with.

I dont think that you can calim that there is a "best" jig or lure. Thats why they make so many. I think the best one for most people is the one that they have the most confidence in. That is the one that gests used the most and more often than not it will be the one you will catch the most with.

Bingo!

I would vote for a red/pink buckshot for both open water and ice. I love to vertical jig with the flasher in open water (12-30 FOW) and I always have one on an ice rod at all times no matter where I am. When it's a little windy in open water I've even added a 1 oz egg sinker (2-3 feet above the hook) to keep the bait directly below the transducer

Best producer for me over the last 4 or 5 years for good numbers and large panfish has been green or light colored Ratso tipped with either a pin minnow (very very small crappie minnow), grub and/or a solid finesse plastic. Shrimpo has been a producer but I go with the Ratso first. Basically a soft plastic nymph style jig in and around the 1/100 oz. size.

Lindy Ratllin' Flying Lure for spoons but the Ratso by Custom Jig and Spin has dominated my tackle pouches now for some time. Caught my biggest crappies on the green Ratso (around and pushing the 16" mark). smile

Best panfish lure is a small nymph for flyfishing.. it has too many downsides for 'em when they are deep unfortunately.

I've tied a dozen small jigs for ice fishing in trout nymph styles. These are 1/80 oz jigs with size 10 hooks. From top to bottom - Zug Bug, Pheasant Tail, Pink Squirrel, and Killer Caddis. Probably tie some others too.

IceJigs102012a-1.jpg