• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minneapolis Fiber to the home

MN

Who is the "They" bringing the fiber into your home? A carrier like CenturyLink? Will you pay yearly maintenance on it? How much bandwidth will you get? Is it triple play Voice/Video/Internet?

Will the drop in your home be an Ethernet port? Hw many IP's will you get?

They are US Internet. I can get any of the following - I am getting the 30 for $30. Sure beats the 5Mbps that I get now with DSL for the same price. (not that I get 5Mbps)

15 Mbps Up/Down

30 Mbps Up/Down

50 Mbps Up/Down

100 Mbps Up/Down

1 Gbps Up/Down

They run it into my house for $100- connect to their box and I connect it to my stuff via an ethernet cable. I have not seen any trenching through yards - wondering if they had some other magic up their sleeves.

They can run it over land like power lines. There is also some sort of water tunneling of some nature where they use a pipe and high pressure water to make the tunnel. Not seen something like that used in town tho.

So you are over on the west side of town? I don't think it's available in my area yet. While I'm fairly satisfied with the USI Wireless at this point the Video hogs are wreaking havoc on the system and this fiber direction sounds like a good Idea.

Ha, ya. I have one teenager playing video games on line, another one watching Netflix, and a server running, and a couple computers. I have cable internet, and I can tell in the evenings that it slows a quite a bit.

My area is also getting fiber, but is more then likely going to be next summer before I get it.