• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2004 Silverado Z71– any parts to preemptively replace?

My 2004 Silverado Z71 (purchased new) now has 134,000 miles on it. It’s in very good shape and I need it to last ~3 more years.

Other than maintenance items, the main parts replaced are: front driver’s side hub (bearing went), seal on front passenger drive axel, water pump, encoder motor sensor, fan resistor, main seal from transmission to drive shaft, spark plugs and spark plug wires, intermediate steering shaft and a few instrument clusters.

I know parts can fail unpredictively, but are there any parts that should be replaced so I don’t get left on the side of the road on a fishing trip to LOW or duck hunting to North Dakota? Maybe the fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, U-joints??? I know the fuel pressure regulators usually give you some warning but do the fuel pumps also or can they just dump out all at once?

The fuel pump on my 1994 gave a little warning (in hindsight). Did a couple minor herky-jerkies in the days preceeding the failure. But, when it failed it was done. Drove home to lunch just fine, went to drive back to work and the engine fired for a second then just died and wouldn't start.

I can't think of anything that you'd replace up front in those aspects that wouldn't be giving some warning of an issue right now.

134K isn't that many miles to start pre-emptively rebuilding the truck, IMO.

Hookmaster - I have the same truck purchased new and I now have just under 139K on it. It has been nothing but solid for me. Under warranty I had the passenger side front axle seal replaced and the evap vent solenoid. For parts being replaced which I've been able to do all on my own (excluding normal wear items like shocks/belts/brakes):

-Replaced a wire on airbag driver side seat position sensor that had broken (don't have the mileage, but guessing it was around 75K or so)

-Driver Side HVAC Blend Door Actuator @ 109K

-Water pump gasket was leaking so replaced water pump/thermostat @ 111K

-Steering shaft and column bearing @ 113K.

I've done all the oil changes/tranny fluid/brakes/shocks etc. on my own and I plan on having the truck at least another 4-5 years. I know many complain about the quality, but I'm holding on to this one as it's been a great truck.