• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sturgeon for dummies?

I have never targeted them so I am not much help. Not sure but I think the season is closed until early September and runs until around the end of the month. Then we have a short catch and release season into early - mid October. When a season is closed, you can not target that species.

I am thinking about doing some fishing for them when the season opens but I only want to catch and release them. I was wondering if you need the $5 tag even if you are only going to catch and release the fish.

There's a catch and release season on the croix, runs approximately from labor day through mid oct. You'll have to check the regs for exact dates.

Basically the same rig you'd use for catfish -- a sliding sinker bottom rig. Use cut sucker or fathead minnows, crawlers, etc and try to get as much scent out there as you can. Multiple lines are allowed, so mix up the baits a bit and fan them out. Circle hooks and just reel when you feel the nibbling on your rod. I like to hold one rod and put the other in a holder.

I wouldn't go TOO heavy on the gear. Channel cat rods are good, but I won't fish for Croix sturgeon with my flathead gear, as I feel like I'm missing bites because they really don't bite all that hard.

Try to keep your lines tight out there, which means ahchoring with the least amount of slack where you can still hold (especially in the wind).

Thanks for the info--that helps. I didn't look in the St. Croix forum as I'll probably head way north to the Rainy. Are tactics different there? The heavy gear I was referring to are a couple of saltwater rods spooled with 65 lb test, bank sinkers, and 8/0 circle hooks that I used for Red River cats.

i'd suggest a smaller-than-you'd-think circle hook, couple crawlers and a crushed fathead should get you a few fish. smaller circles than you'd use for cats will hold worms and fatheads better in a nice glob. don't forget the fathead. it's hard to fill up those cat-sized circle hooks with worms and you really do want a nice glob to hide the hook.

if i'm anchored and fishing with the current only use as much weight as you need to keep your bait down so you can see the soft bites. otherwise it's some of the most easy fun fishing you can find.

8/0 are a little big in my opinion, maybe especially for the smaller size sturg that live in the croix.

I might try a 5/0 or 6/0.

Hopefully I can recreate the 50 fish in the boat a night I pulled off in 2010 as opposed to my dismal 2011 season.

Sturgeon fishing is as simple as it gets. 5-6/0 circle hooks, heavy swivels, line over 50 lb, and an assortment of sinkers in 1-4oz for this time of year. Find a hole in the river thats 16-25', drop anchor, and fish it for 45 mins or so. If no bites move 100 yds. Work the entire hole and if nothing move to the next. Morn/eve and night are best but fish can be caught during the day especially spring and fall on the rainy. Ball of crawlers is all ya need IMHO. And ALWAYS hold your rod. Was out there a month ago and they were biting so light the rod tip would baaaarely more. Don't feed em, reel up right away. Good luck and let us know how ya do!

Yeah, if you're fishing the rainy with only a single rod, I would never use a rod holder. I only do that on the croix where you can use two rods. Your rods should work just fine if you were catching red river channels with them. Sturgeon will give a good fight up there -- they're fatter and longer on average than they are on the croix.

The 8/0 is a bit large -- like others have said, maybe go with a 5/0 or a 6/0 at most. Otherwise you'll be set.

I use 8/0 circle hooks, and just pile on the crawlers and crushed fatheads until i have a big blob. Have had 50 fish nights on the croix with this method and have caught sturgeon ranging from 15" to 54". More worms on the hook the better IMO. I also cut the worms in half for increased scent distribution. 6 worms per hook + 2 fatheads is my typical bait.

Yeah, if you're fishing the rainy with only a single rod, I would never use a rod holder.

I won't put a stiff rod in the rod holder, but i will put a flexible surf rod in a holder, i'll use a little extra weight and keep a slight bend in the rod. A slight 'tap tap' is quite visible...Just start reeling!