• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for a camera

Looking for a new camera in the $500 range. The wife would like something light and more compact that still takes excellent photo and HD video. We don't usually do any extreme close ups. My pictures usually involve fish photos, while the wife tends to take more scenery. Any help would be greatly appreciated as we are unsure where to look with the 100's that are on the market.

Thank you!

I currently have a Canon DSLR and I LOVE IT. Canon is sort of more for moving objects (planes, soccer games, etc). However, Nikon is good too. You do want to ensure you have a decent body, as that is the brains for the lenses. However, lenses will usually run more than the body. I was just at the National Camera Tent Sale and bought a macro lense and a telescopic lense. Expensive but well worth it. They will also buy/trade equipment as well.

A good site to check out is:

[Note from admin: Your post has been edited. Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

Thanks that helps. I would really go to your local store and take a look at each of the cameras that have the feature set you are interested in. Pick them up and handle them, see if the menu system is intuitive for you. Most of the manufacturers are making very good cameras these days. Canon is good, Nikon, Fuji, Sony, and Panasonic are all consistently rated high. I have used the Panasonic Lumix, and Canon personally and have been impressed with picture quality with those brands.

If you will be using it to take fish pictures in the boat one thing you may want to consider is waterproof capability. Again you honestly can't go wrong staying with the major brands. Good luck I hope you find the perfect camera. Make sure you post some shots here when you find what you are looking for.

Check out the Canon Powershot SX30IS. Not too big, 35 power optical zoom, takes sweet pics. Tons of settings to learn for fun. 400 give or take. I just got my first DSLR but I still love the SX30IS. I tried the Fuji HS10 but returned it. Didn't seem to have the same quality in the pics but the settings were different than the canon so could have just been me. Lighting and a low ISO are key with the non DSLR.

I'd look at all of these, I'm not sure about the prices but they'll be in the ballpark hopefully. All of these should be at or near the top of the line for standard point & shoots.

Canon s100

Nikon p7000

Fuji x10

Olympus xz1

Panasonic lx5

And keep in mind your best chance of buying stolen camera gear will occur on C List. I generally would not recommend buying gear on there or the "bay". There are a couple of very reputable forums with buy and sell sections that are highly regarded. I have personally bought a number of items off of them with nothing but positive transactions.

I bought myself a very good quality DSLR at National Camera this last year, its used, but I got a Nikon D70S for $150 (I already had a lense) but its an awsome camera. not the latest greatest, but wasn't worried about it up in the boundary waters since I only paid $150 for it. they are very resonable on thier used gear, plus you get the free classes with a camera purchas.