• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lesson Learned

fivebucks

And that lesson is to repack the boat trailer bearings more often than I did. About 5 years ago I got a boat lift at the cabin and got out of the habit of repacking the bearings every year or every other year. I figured I am hardly putting any miles on and I shoot grease in the bearing buddies every year. Long story short I needed to pull the boat home this past weekend and I don't know how the boat made it into the garage. When I jacked up the trailer that wheel wobbled something fierce that I can't believe I didn't end up on the shoulder of the highway. New axle is on order and my boat won't be on LOW downrigging this weekend.

Hopefully your new axle has "easy lube" hubs. The spindle is drilled so the grease goes in the tip of the spindle and comes out behind the inner bearing and pushes all the way thru the outer bearing for a quick and effective on the trailer repack. Buddies are a joke compared to them.

Hopefully your new axle has "easy lube" hubs. The spindle is drilled so the grease goes in the tip of the spindle and comes out behind the inner bearing and pushes all the way thru the outer bearing for a quick and effective on the trailer repack. Buddies are a joke compared to them.

I have them and no clue if they were any good. Glad to hear they are.

It is pretty easy to repacked and bearings that are not oil filled.

I repack mine every spring and check them half way through the dseason. I seem to always be looking on the back side of the wheel to make sure a seal has not started to leak grease.

Just fo peace of mind, when one is towing on a Sunday or in a remore area, I also carry some emery paper and a extra hub, with new lug nuts ready to put on the axle if needed.

Seems cheaper to carry the extra instead of ruining a trip due to a bad bearing or seal and have to waste time looking for parts. Easy to change on the roadside.