• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

staying on course

amateurfishing

i started taking my boys out shore/dock fishing and sold the golf clubs thinking fishing would be simpler/cheaper/funner over the long haul....not sure if that was the right choice anymore after a boat, updated fish finder, & now this possible scenario.

my boat is a '84 16ft crestliner nordic explorer which i paid $3000 for, at what point am i putting to much $$$$ into the boat without getting return value someday if decide to upgrade?

"....getting return value..." You have a boat for the boys. You got rid of the golf clubs. Even without a new finder or upgraded electric you have your sons out fishing with you, fresh air, clean honest sport and maybe some fun they will always remember. So there is your///"getting return value." lets keep it in perspective here. Buy a used 24v Minnkota and be done with it. Get the Co-Pilot if you can. But mainly get those kids out there fishing and have fun.

My dad used to say,

Anyone can run a shiny new piece of equipment. It takes skill to run a piece of $hit

It's easy to spend other peoples money. If you can't or don't want to spend the money then don't. There are other alternatives like getting better with what you have, or checking the for sale sites for used.

You don't have spend $1,000 if you don't want.

yea, i will do some research & learn bout all the possible features possible & keep an eye on online, have no interest in buying new and very little interest in paying cash, would prefer some type of trade situation, did not want to spend high end cash on a boat that gets used 25 times a year and same applies to trolling motor. only reason i bought fish finder new is i wanted a warranty for sofisticated piece like that....question is are remote control trolling motors just as sofisticated? what r differences between motor guide & minnkota? if i got universal sonar, does that work with HB 597 ci HD?

thx....still have not had a chance yet to research all difft options and what they do/mean...would certainly like remote control operation but will have to get to store and see what universal sonar, auto pilot, & i pilot are and what they do from an expert. in middle of basement finish now, hope to get some research done & maybe find a good fall deal out there.

You can never go to long but you can go to short. If it is running to deep for the water you are in you can adjust it up, but if it's to short, it's just to short. Depending on what kind of weather you are comfortable in, it is a real pain when the motor starts coming out of the water. I believe MinneKota has some info obout how to dertermine the right motor for you.

You can always ask here! Or go to MinnKota's HSOforum and see what each does.

But for a quick rundown...

AutoPilot -- Uses an internal digital compass to keep you on a straight heading. Makes appropriate steering adjustments to keep you on course regardless of wind, waves, and current.

IPilot -- Uses GPS to control the trolling motor. It will remember paths you took and retrace them, anchor you on an exact spot without having to throw out an anchor, give you cruise control and allow you to dial the boat speed to a very precise speed and adjust it according to wind and current changes, and GPS based AutoPilot(meaning more accurate)

CoPilot -- Handheld remote, about the size of a car remote key-fob, that allows you to control the boat remotely from anywhere in the boat without the need of a foot-pedal.

Only one caveat about autopilot, it keeps you going in the same direction, but you can blow sideways while the motor point in the desired direction.

eg, you are going north. Wind is from west. you will drift east and the motor won't notice.

But I still love mine. at least I don't go in circles.

Yes/no kinda. The auto pilot is just that, it keeps you going in the chosen direction. Ipilot has the auto pilot feature, along with cruise control (it keeps your speed steady wo when you turn your speed stays the same, regaurdless of what the wind is doing. My favorite feature), anchor lock, and it records your route so you can go back and forth, hands free.

Think of them as evolutions in the technology.

Autopilot - uses compasses to remember a course direction and auto compensate.

Copilot - added a remote

iPilot - replaced compasses with GPS which gives you tracking ability, the ability to hold a position (anchor), memory to remember a few positions and a track, cruise control (like in your car), and an LCD screen on the remote that give you feedback about the settings, speed and such.

Think of them as evolutions in the technology.

Autopilot - uses compasses to remember a course direction and auto compensate.

Copilot - added a remote

iPilot - replaced compasses with GPS which gives you tracking ability, the ability to hold a position (anchor), memory to remember a few positions and a track, cruise control (like in your car), and an LCD screen on the remote that give you feedback about the settings, speed and such.

thx...so is ipilot all inclusive with copilot & auto pilot? i think the best accessory for me would be the remote operation so i can help kids in back of boat without losing control of it

If you're looking to save money, skip the universal transducer. You already have a transducer on the back of your boat, and it works. Having one on the front of the boat is the furthest thing from necessity that I can think of.

Also, I don't know if your main motor on this boat is a tiller or a console-steer. If it's a tiller, you should look into transom mount trolling motors. You can get a transom mount motor for probably 1/2 the cost of the bow mounts, and they work well in both front and back trolling applications. I'd guess you can find a 55 pound transom mount motor for 200 bucks used. (a traxxis 55 pound unit from minn kota is 368 bucks brand new).

Maxum is a cable drive, the Terrova and V2 are electric steering. The last two can have auto pilot, the cable drive motors cant. The cable drive motors are faster reacting in their steering but CAN have a mind of their own when your foot is off the pedal.