• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cutting back on a trip..

Stcloudangler

Ok, we all know times are tough-

I was told by the boss (you know who that is) that I have to cut back on getaway trips this coming season. I have eliminated an easy one, now down to either a 5 day pheasant hunting trip to SD, or a 4 day ice fishing trip to LOW.

I'm torn, please advise

I would say put it under Ice fishing, head to LOW, and forget the ditch parrots grin Similar on the south side of cloudville, as the warden has also asked me limit and choose. Actually, my sob story could be put in the lawn and garden forum as where i have spent all my time this summer and gave up my open water trips frown My favorite trip is turning into early Ice on Red lake though......more fish, bigger fish, and half the price.........but only if you can get there early.

go on the pheasant hunting trip, circumstances could change and you may be able to go to LOTW also. Just lay low and you may find yourself doing both.

I had a similar situation and just waited until the planets were aligned and everything worked out fine, with both the lovely wife and I happy. If I would have forced things at the wrong time it probably would have been a month in solitary for me.

Other thing is that maybe the warden is right and the situation doesn't allow both, be happy she's on the ball, even though she's cutting into your program.

I'd take my South Dakota hunting trips over ice fishing any day. The weather, the birds, the atmosphere, the dogs, and the friends really is hard to beat. Ice fishing trips are also fun but in my book don't rate anywhere near the SD trips. Also, from word on the street some areas are on their third hatch, numbers should be awesome.

So a vote for each....

Well, I like the idea of going for the chickens and then seeing what happens in January. I do know this, I wont state my intentions until a couple weeks before going and hope the debate goes away until then.

Pushbutton, the Red lake thing is interesting, wonder how I can sell it that it may be cheaper??

I guess you have to ask your self witch trip means more to you. To me chasing birds seems like more work than a LOW trip. Besides, plenty of those (ditch parrots) as PB calls em' around Stearns county for you to shoot grin

I guess you have to ask your self witch trip means more to you. To me chasing birds seems like more work than a LOW trip. Besides, plenty of those (ditch parrots) as PB calls em' around Stearns county for you to shoot grin

If you think there are plenty of birds in Stearns, I'd like permission to hunt where you do. wink

There just isn't anything like going to SD.

I think the wise one, mr. leechlake may have made the best point... I will start the brownie points and go on the trip in October, with hopes that the January trip may be a possibility yet.

Wow a tough dedsion to be made. I have and still do both fortunatley. I agree a bad day in SD chasing the parrots is better than anything in Mn at the present time. Much better outlook this year in SD than last.

Red Lake accomadations are definiltey cheaper than LOW. Finally fished it twice last winter as well as LOW. The only loss you have with Red is the Sauger that can be part of your daily/possession limit on LOW. The quality of fish on Red is very good, fat and sassy eyes for sure. I would make a Xmas wish list and maybe present it while sitting on Santa's knee, ya never know..... crazy Good luck with either trip, hope they both work out.

Wouldn't be any question for me at all. SD all the way. I'd take walking a field on a nice fall day over sitting in a shack any day of the year.

I'd even rather go to SD and not get a single bird over an average day fishing on LOW.

BTW, if you need anyone to join, you just let me know... wink

Personally, I can't imagine it would be all that hard to still do both? Cut back a little here, and a little there, on a few meals out, a little less fuel, perhaps a few less beverages?

Pinch a few pennies, pick up a couple cash paying jobs here and there, and save up a little extra in an account you can show her from time to time, so she knows how passionate you are about these trips. Set up a "budget" for each trip, and keep it simple, and low cost. Show her the cost of each, and stick to the budget.

Don't do ANYTHING to jeopardize the relationship, but be respectful of the things she wants to do. Support her, encourage her, and help her realize her dreams, and in all likelihood she'll respond in kind.

Personally, I can't imagine it would be all that hard to still do both? Cut back a little here, and a little there, on a few meals out, a little less fuel, perhaps a few less beverages?

Pinch a few pennies, pick up a couple cash paying jobs here and there, and save up a little extra in an account you can show her from time to time, so she knows how passionate you are about these trips. Set up a "budget" for each trip, and keep it simple, and low cost. Show her the cost of each, and stick to the budget.

Don't do ANYTHING to jeopardize the relationship, but be respectful of the things she wants to do. Support her, encourage her, and help her realize her dreams, and in all likelihood she'll respond in kind.

+1 and maybe sell some things that you no longer use that she wants out of the way.

Best post I have seen in quite sometime.

That's how we do things at our house. I also clean snow off 3 neighbor's driveways all winter and thats enough money for a Rainy River trip in the spring and 5 days on Rainy Lake on Memorial weekend. Small cash jobs here and there doing whatever fund most all my trips.

I take as little funds as possible out of the household funds to go on fishing and hunting trips.

I will go on 3-4 fishing trips a year and my fall hunting is quite a bit.

My wife spends equally for her stuff versus my trips fishing and hunting. Works great for us.

We have been married almost 40 years and no complaints by either party, it can work well if u do it together.

Personally I would look at doing a cast and blast hunt same money as one trip with the benifits of both.

Devils Lake waterfowl and EYES best hunting and fishing in October anyways.

or I would Limit the the amount of days of each trip that you are trying to choose from and try and to both places.

I would also ask the "BOSS" what do you think is the best choice.

Great idea, Gordie! I've been doing that for many years myself. And talk about fun all weekend! Cast and blast, multi-species trips all the way.

There's decent golf course in Baudette as well. Certainly not PGA level, but a little fishing morning and evening, a little golf in the afternoon, throw in a little siesta and you're all set.

Also, hunting opportunities abound on LOW, that's if you go at the right time of course.

I've done grouse hunting on the way up, waterfowl hunting on Agassiz on the way up, field hunting geese south of the Rainy, walleyes, bass, muskies and pike on the river and lake, even bear hunting and grouse hunting in Pine Island National Forest in between hours on the water!

I've even entertained the thought of hunting ducks in the fall on the Rainy from a mid-river island, or shoreline...while fishing! But I think one would have to look very closely at the regs on that one! smile

Long story short, it's definitely possible to do both, or a combination hunting/fishing trip in SoDak, Nodak, or Northern Minnesota.

I would add that if you and your spouse are "keeping score" of who does what, when, and how much is spent by each, be very, very careful. Trust has to be at the forefront and center of any good relationship, and keeping score doesn't show much trust.

Harvey Lee and I share the same type of relationship with our spouses. My wife goes on weekend scrap-booking, and stampin' up get-aways with her friends. I help her, and encourage her with these trips. I don't do nearly the number of trips I used to (before 4 kids), but I make them really count when I do, and she is completely supportive of the things I do.

Now I'm even working on a nice, comfortable permanent fish house for LOW, so I can bring her up with me on weekends. Gonna have to add some serious creature comforts to make, and keep her happy. But if it works for her, it works for ME too! grin