• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Used Ice Castle advice please.

Johnsonator

I have been looking at getting my first wheel house and was considering buying a new ice castle when i came across a used 2006 8x16 ice castle that has everything setup the way I want for a great price. I know the seller and know they have had no problems with it since new and they have not used it more than a few times a year. My main concern is the frame which appears to be all angle iron and is pretty rusty. I want to use it both for ice fishing and some summer camping so I want something that can handle some miles. I checked the tires for wear and they appear to be wore more on the outside edges but I wouldn't say it is horrible. What items of concern should I be looking for? Has anyone else owned a older 8x16 ice castle with the angle iron frame? Any advice? I would buy it In heartbeat if I knew the frame would be fine. Thanks for any info.

I had one for 6 years with no trouble at all. The frames do get rusty and need painting. Check the pivot points to make sure it goes up and down smooth and that they're greased well. People have had trouble with the angle iron frames but if you don't go boonybashing with it there fine. I'd still have my '06 if it had 4 bunks, I loved that house.

SFD

What year is the Ice Castle? There is a HUGE difference between my brother inlaw's 2007.... The frame on the 2010 is way heavier duty than the earlier frames. ALSO: I would say i have never heard anyone with a big ice house say, "man i sure wish i had a smaller house" I absolutely LOVE mine!

I am probably going to sell it this year though as I doubt I will have the time to even take it out once! Mine has a really nice layout it is 24ft plus a 3ft V-Nose Up front and the front 6 feet of the house is all bathroom. There is a full shower, sink, Toilet, & built in cedar dresser. I have mine setup with 8 holes with rattle reels above each hole. Ive got the dinnette that drops down into a queen sized bed and another fold down queen size above that. The things that make it a real joy to fish out of are the Full Refrigerator and Freezer, the 32" LCD flat Screen and Direct TV also make sure my time spent on the ice is always pleasurable!!!! I set mine up in the winter with my 4g Hotspot and a cell phone booster, Nothing like "working away" with 8 lines in the water smile While something like mine may be a little larger than you are looking to go I would suggest looking bigger than 16 ft (maybe 20ft would be the smallest I would personally go)... I spent a full 32 days on the Hard Water fishing out of mine last year and with my roof top air conditioner I have spent 2 weeks in it this summer!

Thanks for the info guys. As far as size goes, I think the 8x16 would be ideal for me, I really don't want to go any bigger at this time. Some of the larger houses just look like such a hassle getting them around and I don't have a 3/4 ton to pull one. Any other info on the older ice castles experiences would be appreciatd.