• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Maybe the last flasher battery you'll ever buy

DTro

This came up briefly last year and I've been looking into it a bit more for the coming year. Has anyone converted their ice gear batteries to Lithium type?

The price is starting to come down to a point in which it might make sense to make the switch.

Why should you consider it?

How about 1/2 the weight, available in 10ah, and maybe 5-10 times the life span of standard lead acid batteries!

The specific ones I've found can be now had for as little as $119 if you do some interwebz snooping.

I have to say that taking a couple of pounds off the weight of a flasher sure would help hole hopping wink

31mS8rQaiUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Usually reeling in 10-20 lb crappies so the little extra weight from a battery is no challenge for me.

But on a serious note, this is eventually going to be a good thing. Proabably eventually go the same way that LED lights went. As the technology gets better and better the price will come way down. I would probably be a buyer in the 50-75 dollar range. My subsidy payment just isnt large enough to justify anymore.

I wonder how long they stay charged? I have Humminbird Ice 45 that I bought 3-4 years ago. My battery last me about 12 hours fishing hard in the elements running from hole to hole.

The one I posted is a 10ah battery so based on a 400 milliamp pull from the flasher it should last about 25hrs, on some of the vexilars that draw less power it could last up to 36hrs.

Dang. I won't pay that much for a group 27.

I also keep a spare battery along in the sled...rarely used.

They will be nice when they become more economical.

Do these batteries have a longer life in years to justify the cost? Or is its only benefit reduction in weight?

Thanks for sharing.

I'm actually am going to try out 3.4Ah batteries on my Vexilar's this tournament season. They should last a whole day and are easier to keep backups as they are half the size. Besides even if I'm running 7Ah/9Ah batteries I still charge them after each day of use. I agree with what others posted as I would be in the market for Lithium once they are around the $50 range.

The extra couple pounds makes a pretty big difference when hole hopping with 40 inches of ice (and thus 40+ inches of transducer cable). Holding the thing head-high between holes to keep it from dragging in the snow is a lot of work for shorties like myself. Not for one or two holes, but when hopping a couple hundred times, it makes a difference.

Plus, remember you're paying not only for the lighter weight but also the extra life. You can charge these things probably many hundreds if not thousands of times without degraded performance. That's quite a few years. I might just have to check one of these out. I don't think they'll get to the $50 range any time soon, considering more conventional batteries in 10 amp hour cost upwards of 25 or 30 bucks. I'm looking to maybe buy in at a $75 to $80 price point, more like 3x what the normal batteries last. Then as long as I can use it for 3x as long as a normal battery, I'll feel like I'm way ahead in all that saved poundage.

I usually carry 3 batteries on me when ice fishing. 1 for my marcum, 1 for the lights, and 1 backup....

So I'm looking at about $360 + tax + shipping... OUCH!

I usually have two of just about everything, but my backup is just that -- a backup. It hopefully rarely gets used, and thus doesn't have to be exactly the same quality as my primary battery. Also, I would never think of using this for my lights because I'm not at all concerned about the weight on that one -- I never carry the 'lights' battery around.

I don't think $120 is a good price for these, but it's definitely worth some premium over the standard batteries given the two advantages together -- longer life plus lighter weight. That is, assuming they work in the cold.

For that price, I will continue to use the ones I have. I can get 6-7 years out of the type I use now.

I could see that battery selling very well for average Joe if the price drops another $30-$40. The guy that fishes on the weekend sonce or twice a month will never spend that kind of money for a battery for his flasher.

As far as the weight, minor deal at a few pounds.

I really think a few pounds difference is pretty big when moving around all day. At least I think I would notice it, I'm no Popeye though smile

At the current price point it sure isn't for everyone, but it would be pretty cool to be using the same flasher and battery combination 20 years from now.

At the current price point it sure isn't for everyone, but it would be pretty cool to be using the same flasher and battery combination 20 years from now.

Why would this Lithium battery last 20 years when my cell phones have been using them for years and I need to replace them usually after a year? 20 years would be pushing it IMO.

I fished all day numerous times with both the FL-20 and FL-22 on stock batteries last season and never even came close to fully discharging on either. The savings in weight and added performance just isn't worth $100 right now. They get down to about $40, I'd take a look.

I have 12v mini battery packs for my Dewalt corless drill & impact driver ... any reason why I couldn't somehow rig them to my run my flasher(s) ??? Don't know what the Ah rating is, but it cranks out a lot of power for the cordless tools yet is very small & light.

For that price, I will continue to use the ones I have. I can get 6-7 years out of the type I use now.

Tom, I was with you until you said you could get 7 years out of a flasher battery. If that's your average, then you're about 2x as long as anyone else. Well, either that or you fish for only an hour at a time so by the time you're on year 7 and it has only 1/2 or less of the capacity that it started with, you just haven't noticed yet.

I think if the trim off $40 bucks or so they'll get a few hits. But we still need that guinea pig to use one and see if they perform well in the cold. Who's going to be "it"?

I charge my batteries all the time. I write the dates on these batteries when I purchase them and yes, I get good time out of them.

I will say I do not ice fish like I use to at all. My average outing anymore is probably a few hours here and there.

The real big key to keeping these batteries like new is to recharge them as soon as one gets home.

Wow, 2000 cycles is a lot. I get out at MOST 10 times in december, 10-15 in January, 10 in february, and 5 in march. Maybe 40 times a year.

I'm sure there are the hardcores out there that do 20-25 in each of those months and that's 80-100 outings, but I bet most people would be well under the 2000 cycle rating.

My experience with cell phone batteries has been pretty similar -- about a year and a half and they're done. But I think part of the difference might be that they're made cheaply and they're so small. Perhaps the size of these batteries allows them to be charged 2000 times, not really sure.

The one thing I've experienced with lith batteries is that they don't do well in the cold.

Yup.

This is the sticking point.

Don't know if the technology in these batteries will be any different, but I use battery powered tools in the outdoors all winter long (NiCad) and won't use lithium because they just don't work well (or at all) in cold weather.

Side point... I think you hit the nail on the head as why you don't see more sonar companies in the ice fishing business and not much innovation (certainly compared to technology like SI). Most icefisherman are content with keeping their color flasher forever. (That isn't a knock on anyone, that is a fact.) This is in stark contrast to what is happening on the soft-water side of things. The market is just so much larger!

I like mine to weigh more so it sinks faster going down a 10 inch hole.

ROTFLMAO bobbymalone . Too funny and thanks for the morning chuckle LOL.

Dtro . Anytime I can save on weight yet get equal or better performance is a good thing in my eyes so I will monitor these batteries in the future .

Harvey Lee . I too have had good longevity out of my batteries even though I fish alot and long hrs just by keeping them charged up after every day's use once they come to room temp . I think my LX-3 battery from the original year they came out is still the original one .

TD