• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ok I'm ready....tick tock tick tock

I hear ya. This cooler weather has really given me the itch. Last week I changed out the triggers on 24 grizz getters to the push/pull type, made about 100 cable stakes, cleaned and re dipped

(12) 1-3/4 victors and re cabled those and cleaned out and reorganized the bait/ lure bag.

Picked up 2 more spots to trap and call this morning and one goose hunting spot.

Jonny, do you dip all your jaw traps and which type do you like?

Rob

I do dip everything and right now I'm trying a couple different things. I used Formula One on some of my dry land stuff and not real happy with it. Maybe the rust was not deep enough but it also peeling on a few old 330s I tried. I have had good luck with Speed Dip but get nervous about gas on my K-9 sets. Although Speed Dip has stood the test of time but the good ol Logwood Dye is stil the best, I think. Takes some time and is a pain to do but it works well.

I use kbl dye from kaatz bro's lures have used this product for 3 years now with really good results. Log wood is how I have always done all of my traps in the past who know price wise might come back to log wood again. Well on to getting ready for season I'm working on a new trap shed at the moment cutting it close but what do you do just moved in April summer seems 1/2 as long as normal with twice as much to do! Getting a fall order list made up for supplys and I should be ready to go all of my trap mods and repairs which I have done last spring before everything gets put away for another season. It won't be long and we'll all be back on the line. good luck

When it comes to canine sets, I see not reason to dye or dip them, they are already under the ground, boil the scent off of them and then wax them.

I have spray painted all of my traps at one time or another and wax all footholds. I did however dip my dryland bodygrips in Full Metal Jacket. I do plan to try some type of dip for water footholds, but spray paint for new ones and a coat of wax works fine, other wise i just clean them up and wax them.

Foot traps don't need to be painted for the sake of animals, its more for the two legged thieves.

Hey, whats the easiest way to get rid of human scent on traps. Took mine out of shed and while grabbing more my 2 grandkids decided to start checking out my traps! They are all dyed already so just want to clean the scent off.. Thanks guys-gals..

I am not ready yet but thanks for the reminder. My new fur shed didn't get finished but at least it got started. Am adding new swivels to my 1 1/2's, triggers to the 110's an 160's. Everything is getting new tags as 2013 is the yr the old dl number is no good. The foot traps are all getting redipped for the first time since late 90's. Parts are cut and formed for 30 doz dp's just need to put together.

Seeing there has been some talk of dye vs dip I'll share what I do. I use oil based paint mixed with gas 1 part paint to 2 parts gas or there abouts. colman gas works best but if you have the time reg gas will air out just takes a bit longer. Then I'll wax. I normally wax every other yr but pressure wash every yr. redip maybe every 8-10 or as needed. In yrs past i have used flat black but this yr am going with a brownish color instead. One bit of advise if you want to dip coni's in white for winter do it before they rust. I tried it once and the rust bled through. That's the nice part about dipping with paint is you can choose a color.

Oh boy I'm far from ready. However, after my daughters wedding next Saturday I'll get my act together. I don't run near as big a line as many of yous guys do so it will be easier to get ready.

Speaking of dipping, I'll share what I do. I peel the bark off a bunch of small willows. Put the bark in a big pot and boil my traps in this. Drop in some wax and when I pull them out they're good to go. Like Jonny said earlier, I put em outside in the CRP behind my house and just let them sit and mamma nature takes care of bizness.

I like the white paint idea. Never thought of that. Thanks for the tip.

Tons of coon activity around my place lately. Bunches of dead ones on the side of the road and I smoked one on my way to work the other day. I know most of yous guys don't target coons, but down here we do. There is a bunch of them out there, that's for sure.

one more week of not smelling like a skunk. I think I can wait. I am excited for the fact that there are a couple of otters in one of my muskrat ponds as of tonight. They had to have traveled miles to find some water, and hopefully they stick around a couple of weeks!