• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2007 Ranger 188VS 150hp Opti

smokindao

Just purchased my boat, a 2007 Ranger 188VSwith 150hp Opti. This is my first boat. I brought the boat with no jack plate. I am wondering is getting a jack plate will be worth it and should I go manual or Hydraulic. If anyone has any suggestions on who to go to for purchasing and installing a jack plate also, please let me know. Also I know from research I shouldnt be expecting huge mph gains but if you guys can help me with the pros and cons of getting jack plate, that would be awsome. thank you

I had one on my 18 ft Ranger, and loved it. If money wasn't no problem i would have on on my 17 ft Ranger. Not so much to increase speed,( although you may get alittle more out of it) but it was nice when i got into shallow water where i could raise the entire motor to idle in or out. After you play with the set up, you can find where the motor preforms best. If you get one. GET A HYDRALIC one. grin

I had one on my 18 ft Ranger, and loved it. If money wasn't no problem i would have on on my 17 ft Ranger. Not so much to increase speed,( although you may get alittle more out of it) but it was nice when i got into shallow water where i could raise the entire motor to idle in or out. After you play with the set up, you can find where the motor preforms best. If you get one. GET A HYDRALIC one. grin

Thanks for the advice delmuts. I will test my boat sometime this week. Havent had a chance yet since I was busy all weekend. Been doing a lot of research since I am a first time boat buyer and buying a jack plate seems to be what everyone kind of recommends

Like i said; neccessary, no, but nice at times.Your biggest objective right now is to learn the boat. grin A fun time, but seat time is your best friend now.

I went from a 30hp, 16 ft. alum. to a 18 ft. Ranger 364 with a 175! Mercy!! ALWAYS respect what a boat can and can't do. Specially in rougher water. Have fun!

Ya. Take it slow. bass boats can be a handfull to the inexperienced. I guess first I would see what you run now for speed and RPM's. see if your at the max rpm's for your motor at full throttle. Then google bassboatcentral and start searching for info on your boat and motor set-up. There will be tons of info. Then try and get the right prop. once you get it propped and running at its best decide if you want a 1 or 2 mph gain. I bet that would be the most you would see with your set-up. If you don't care about 1 or 2 mph I would leave it be. Unless you want to be able to adjust it on the fly for shallow or rough water then you need to open the pocket book for a hydraulic plate. I have the 175vs with a 130hp yamaha and i personally decided against buying one. The models do have the built in setback which is similar to a jackplate. And my boat actually runs best with the motor pretty far below the pad. So i saved the cash and passed on a plate. But you may decide different. First I would learn the boats capaiblities inside and out then get the best prop for you. then decide on the plate. google bassboatcentral though. tons of info to bass boats in general and tons of info on your set-up if you search. Good luck

thanks guys! I took her out the other day and I think for now I will pass on the jack plate as you guys stated!

That's a smart move. The boat is setup good overall from the factory, so I wouldn't spend a bunch of money to gain 1-2 mph. If you add a jack-plate you also have to check the length of the steering, throttle cables, and you better have a working water pressure gauge or you can get into trouble really quick. Save your money, or put it into new electronics and fuel!