• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tips for getting big bucks on camera??

Someone has to have a secret to getting big bucks on camera. I put out my new Bushnell 8mp Trophy Cam for about 10 days and got 70 (12sec) video. I had a decent 8pt come in one night for a couple mins. I put my camera near a couple main trails and put some deer cane down. Is there any secret to getting more bucks to come to the cam? I see some of you guys have multiple shooters in one pic.

I really dont have a problem getting does and spikers to come in.

What type of areas are you guys setting up your cams??

Main trails are good for seeing deer, but I have found that the bucks are generally not using those trails as much as the does and fawns do. If you have a food source or a water source put the camera up there as the bucks will be hitting them. Make sure you dont have your scent all over the trail camera too. Good Luck!

Multiple cams if possible, use gloves when touching the cam, use a salt or mineral block. Don't check cam every week, leave as long as you can. If you get the opportunity check it before a rain comes. Probably the biggest factor, location. If they're not there doesn't matter what you do. I have seven cams. Four go in my go to spots that produce. The other three I use for test locations. No good bucks I find another spot. Also if you're getting a lot of does and fawns early don't give up on that spot. Once the pre rut/rut starts the bucks will find them. We have a spot that had zero shooters last summer and many does/fawns. In one week (end of October/beginning of November) we got three shooters on cam. No real secrets, just what works for me.

Multiple cams if possible, use gloves when touching the cam, use a salt or mineral block. Don't check cam every week, leave as long as you can. If you get the opportunity check it before a rain comes. Probably the biggest factor, location. If they're not there doesn't matter what you do. I have seven cams. Four go in my go to spots that produce. The other three I use for test locations. No good bucks I find another spot. Also if you're getting a lot of does and fawns early don't give up on that spot. Once the pre rut/rut starts the bucks will find them. We have a spot that had zero shooters last summer and many does/fawns. In one week (end of October/beginning of November) we got three shooters on cam. No real secrets, just what works for me.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I especially like the part about the bucks being there, sometimes an area just doesn't have any big bucks, or any bucks that regularly use the area.

I get the majority of my mature buck pics at established salt/mineral stations near foodplots. As mentioned, water & food sources are next best for getting pics during the summer. As fall approaches, hot acorn trees and mock scrapes can produce great. Doing habitat work such as hinging/funneling entry/exit routes through your property can really help too. First and foremost, you have to have mature bucks in the area to start with!

In summer, mineral sites are good sure bets once you have them established. Water holes on dry years. And bean fields always need to be around! If there aren't a ton of crops around, the bachelor groups will follow the beans! Use scented mineral or bait in front of the camera to stop them. I touch them and go in about every week and as long as I leave snacks, they dont care.

Once the velvet sheds, NONE OF THIS APPLIES! And you can typically forget getting the multiple bucks in one picture! Then the game changes.

I am working on buying a 40 close to were I have my camera. It was select cut logged a couple years ago leaving all the pines, oaks and maples. If I get it I want to go in with a bobcat and clear some trails and areas for food plots and try to plant some fruit trees. There is already a decent water hole on the property. I know there are some swamp donkeys in the area cause I shot one a couple years ago.

full-40170-23152-2010deer001(small).jpg

Currently I am just off this property on some state land and by some pretty thick, low, swampy cover with a ridge of nice oak trees right next to it. When I put my deer cane down and scratched the ground up I was plowing up a ton of acorns.

Are we considering deer cane (the red bag) a mineral site or what do you guys suggest?

I am going back up on Labor Day with the full intention of putting a stand in that area.

Thats a PIG you have there Bucky S!

Plant it and they will come. The food controls all!

Deer Cane is fine. I prefer Trophy Rocks and Lucky Buck. Some use salt and cheap bulk minerals. All is fine for summer sites. Find an old rot stump to apply it to. This winter and next spring and summer they will love it!

Good luck

I get a majority of the bucks on my camera by setting it up about 15-20 yards off of a licking branch. I have 1 Scrape/Branch that has been a constant fixture in my little area of the world for years, and everyone comes to visit. I'll be moving my camera to that location around 1 Sept.