• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Range Finder?

Jeff13

I have one that I bought mainly for the muzzleloader season, but I do carry it to the stand during bow season. During the ML season we often have the ability to range the actual deer, but from a bow stand I just range trees, fence posts, etc. that are nearby so I have some landmark distances in mind as a deer approaches.

If you were strictly bowhunting, I'm thinking you could find a better way to spend the $150 or so...

I've got a completely different take than NWBuck- I never leave home without my rangefinder. With archery tackle, the difference between 32 and 36 yards might be the difference between a perfect shot or a clean miss. Even worse, it could mean an animal that's hit poorly, will suffer unnecessarily, and may not be recovered. Also, I hunt out West a bit and having one out there is invaluable.

Is it absolutely necessary? No, definitely not- I hunted without one for 20+ years. However, if I had to choose today between my camo or my rangefinder, I'd be hunting in a pair of jeans and a brown t-shirt.

I just got a Simmons rangefinder, it was on sale at the Big C store for 130 (down from 160) plus a 20% off rebate from the manufacturer. Pretty happy with it.

No it isn't necessary for bowhunting, but it is nice to accurately range things in the field. Really improves your range estimation too, play a game with different objects and guess their range, then find out for sure

Depends where you'll be hunting I guess. If you're just starting out or hunt a lot of different properties w/ open terrain, I'd probably want one. Here in MN, I can't remember the last time I've used mine. I think I use mine the most in the backyard when sighting in a new sight. All my setups are geared for shots under 30 yds though, with the majority at half of that. I don't need a rangefinder for that. When I'm in SD though, I always have it on me. IMO If you're primarily going to be hunting flat wooded ground here in MN, I'd invest that money towards a treestand or trail camera.

I've got a completely different take than NWBuck- I never leave home without my rangefinder. With archery tackle, the difference between 32 and 36 yards might be the difference between a perfect shot or a clean miss. Even worse, it could mean an animal that's hit poorly, will suffer unnecessarily, and may not be recovered. Also, I hunt out West a bit and having one out there is invaluable.

Is it absolutely necessary? No, definitely not- I hunted without one for 20+ years. However, if I had to choose today between my camo or my rangefinder, I'd be hunting in a pair of jeans and a brown t-shirt.

I can't argue with any of that.

I don't leave home without it. I do range trees, but even in northern MN I often have time time to range the deer or range a tree ahead of them on the trail they're walking on. Necessary, no. Highly recommended for more accurate shots, yep.

I've bow hunted for 25 years without a rangefinder, didn't think I needed one since the only shot I was going to take was 25 yards or less, you get pretty good at judging distance. Now this winter I did break down and buy a Bushnell that was on sale, mainly because now I can afford it and also because with practice over the years my shooting has gotten better.

If I know its 35 yards, I can make that shot. I've also had a couple of times that wounded deer - gutshots - have stood out at 40 yards, I passed on the second shot - and they walked out of my life, never to be seen again. With a rangefinder, knowing the exact range, I'd take that shot as a kill shot - I was practicing at 40 yards last night.

So is a rangefinder a necessity?? I'd say no, especially if your shots will stay within 25 yards, most bows shoot flat enough to handle a 2-3 yard misjudge in distance. But if you were heading out west or your shots are longer, I'd say get one.

I'd agree with what most have said. I try to always have mine in my pack, but I mostly will just range some spots ahead of time. Most of my stands I don't need it at all. I pretty much know what shots are in range & out of range. Unless it's over 25 yards I'm not adjusting anything anyway.

Thanks for the comments, I will be buying one. I like to be as accurate as possible and a few of my set ups are on field edges. I want to know my distance and have

that peace of mind when I let the arrow fly.

I range trees and different spots from my stand then rely on relating to those object as to how far a deer is when I get a shot. Rangefinders are very helpful in that regard.

I don't like ranging the deer. I would rather be at full draw about to let the arrow go waiting for the correct body angle for a good kill.

I don't think you need the angle compensation but it is a nice to have. Small rangefinders are nice and getting one that goes out to 400 - 600 yards is nice when it comes to ranging stuff out west when you need to do a spot and stalk.

I have one but it sits on the shelf in the basement. I practice estimating distances and I feel I am pretty good at it. To me it is just one more thing to drag around the woods and have dangling from my neck. I usually hunt in the woods where 25 yards is a long shot. I do think it would be helpfull if I bow-hunted a field edge.

i dont have one yet but i will be getting one i dont like guessing especially when i have a monster buck infront of me, but like others have stated i will use to range things like trees and bushes so when the time comes all i have to do is add or subtract a couple yards and with my bows speed for me +/- a few yards is only a matter of 3 or less inches and with a 2" cut broad head i think ill be good.

I have one and it normally goes with me, wife kept taking it last year so she now has her own.

I normally use it before the hunt and range trails/trees and edge of fields, but have occassion used it to range deer on the walk that I wasn't interested in harvesting to verify yardages and to see what I could get by with for movement.

Another great tool, just like everything else you pack with you.

I never leave home without it. With that said, I dont always use it. It depends on where I end up hunting on any given day.

When I hunt from my ladder stands, I Know the distances and have them in memory. But when I hunt from my climber, one of the first things I do is range out trees, stumps or whatever for a quick referance when the big boy steps in.

After using a range finder alot, you get pretty good at judging distance, However, step into a dark woods or variable lighted forest and you will find out how off you can be.

Great tool to have.

Good luck.