• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tilt trim help.

kerryd15

Question

I have a 97 50Hp mercury 2 stroke. Bought this used a couple years ago. I use the boat once a week or couple time a month if possible. Every year I have had to replace one or both of the relays that run the tilt trim pump. The wires are direct to the battery with a fuze. The last time out I had problems trying to put the motor down again. Tried to use the switch on the motor and at the consel. The relays are setting one the back side of the motor under the cover below the spark plugs. Do these need to be moved? Could they be getting too hot? If I pop the covers off the relays, they click back and forth but the main contact to run the motor doesn't make contact. There is a spark. I have used a points file to clean them up in the past and will work for a couple trips then the same thing. Any ideas what coul be causing this or is it normal. i have used relays from a marine dealer and some NAPA cross reference with the same resultz.

2 answers to this question

Not sure what size the fuze is. I will try to check the draw. I cleaned the contact on both relays with fine sandpaper. seems to work for now. What should it draw for amps? Everything else seems to work fine. When I first bought it 3 years ago the motor would seep down. The end of the manual bypass had broke inside. I fished it out and replace the bypass screw. I had the pump apart and cleaned everything at the same time. Everything holds. The motor does not seem to be over working or anything. Thanks