• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First Diamond Wrap

Here was my attempt at my first diamond wrap... I'm just ok with it I know I have a lot of work to do but practice makes perfect. I know it's a little off so let me know of any pointers you got!

The handle again was Chad Huderle's, and Chad I'll be sure to let you know how the decal applies when I put it on.

photo-8.jpg

one with the handle

photo-9.jpg

Hi Jon,

You've made a good start and keep at it, the more you do the more you'll figure out what works best for you.

I haven't tried this myself but I have read that one way to get open wraps packed tighter is to finish them out with a couple of sacrificial threads. Then pack, apply a thin coat of color preserver to lock everything down, and then carefully remove the sacrificial threads. You should end up with a tighter wrap that is ready for another coat of color preserver followed by epoxy.

Looking good for a first wrap!

One thing that I do is to push the threads over every 3 or 4 wraps. I thing it helps keep everything more symmetrical as you go along.

Another tip is to spend allot of time getting your layout spaced and strait.You really can't change it after you get started, so get it the best you can before you do.

Lastly, like Chad said, the more you do the better they look.

Good wraps

A.W.Wolfram

1st off this is a the more the practice the better the results type of thing. The stuff I do today is much much better than I did years ago.

Like mentioned layout is a key and so is packing threads. For decorative wraps you will need something other than a finger nail to pack threads. The do make a jig for layout threads out, it makes easier to layout things out along the center of the rod and keep it going straight.

Also decorative wraps such as diamond wraps are a bit difficult as the layout is tough and getting threads to lay next to each other is even tougher. One way to make it easier to do wraps over threads is to lay down a layer of epoxy to give yourself a smoother surface.

Also decorative wraps such as diamond wraps are a bit difficult as the layout is tough and getting threads to lay next to each other is even tougher. One way to make it easier to do wraps over threads is to lay down a layer of epoxy to give yourself a smoother surface.

Hi upnorth,

I thought the rod blanks were smooth to start with so I was wondering how the epoxy is smoother than the rod blank?

Thanks