Jump to content

    If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

    This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hummingbird problem with voltage.


Recommended Posts

I have the new 598 ci di which is hooked directly to my battery with a 3 amp fuse in between. I also have a 1982 25 horse johnson hooked to that battery. The motor has a starter but no seloid in it so I dont have electric start. I have to pull start it but I do have it hooked up to the battery. I took it out last night and my depthfinder is flashing low voltage! its in the 8 volt range. I used it for a whole week up on rainy and never had this problem or charged the battery. I dont know if the motor is charging the battery or not since its an 82 and technically no electric start. I also have a few things that run off that battery as well. I wired up a control panel which has a stereo, bilge pump and lights running off that battery. Anyways the depthfinder shut off once it got down in the 7v area. I got home last night and put the battery on the charger and it reads almost full charge. So my question to all of you is.... does my motor have an alternator that charges the battery? If not is this a case of a bad battery? Do I have to many things running of that battery? Is this maybea depthfinder problem? What do you think? the model of the motor is j25RCNB. Thanks!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Check the in line fuse holder. They are notorious for developing corrosion and resulting in low voltage to the electronics. Clean contacts with emery cloth and use a little dilectic grease and check again. If not here repeat process with the battery connection.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got a volt meter? If so, put it on the battery and see what it reads.

I'm wondering if there is nothing wrong with the starter on your motor and that the battery just doesn'thave enough voltage to engage the bendix.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From what I know, my $0.02. Voltage is different than amps. If your voltage is 7 or 8 volts, then your battery is bad, you have lost a cell or two. A good battery will put out 12 to 14 volts. If the battery is weak, i.e. needs charging, then you would have an amp problem. Your charger may say it is a full-charge even with the loss of a cell or two and your motor will not add any more charge.

A fully charged battery will not freeze. A dead/weak battery will.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now ↓↓↓ or ask your question and then register. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.