• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

waterproofing a tent

klee

wife and i decided we wanted to start camping soon so we r "testing" the waters in the backyard & practicing while slowly building our equipment arsenal with the neccessities. I researched tents for 6 months a year ago online, bottom line is always had 5 star reviews from REI (& yes we thought they were overpriced too). but after reading tons of online reviews our criteria was quality, handle inclement weather, size (something our family of 5 can grow in to) & ease of use. So we ended up at local REI store & talked to the ppl, told them what our intentions/expectations were and they gave us 2-3 choices. we looked at them, found what we liked/wanted and picked it up this time of year last year when they had great deals. we ended up with tent, vestibule, garage, & pad for less than the msrp of the tent itself. and with their lifetime warranty on everything, bring something back no questions asked policy, u really cant go wrong if u save up the $$ for it, even if you never use it or just decide u dont like it anymore, you can always return for a refund or store credit. u really cant lose on that deal.

Honestly, bringing a good tarp along is always a good idea (unless you get into backpacking light). I have a freebee tent from the 70's that I use when I'm going solo. If the weather looks clear, I'll forgo the tarp. I once made the mistake of not having a tarp along during an all-day downpour. My tent was good for the first 4-5 hours, but I got soaked the rest of the day. I'm lucky I had a quality sleeping bag as it would have been a miserable night otherwise.

Make due with whatever tent you currently own, just supplement it with a $10 blue tarp from your favorite store.

Tarps are good things...even on my long solo hikes, I'll bring a small tarp with if I've got the room/weight. If I'm car camping or in the BWCA, I'll always have a tarp with.

I'm a big fan of spending money on high-quality gear. I don't splurge elsewhere, but when I'm going to be out camping, I want to know that I've got the gear that can hold up to the conditions. That's why I've forgone the blue tarps for nylon ones sold by any and all outdoor outfitters. Yes, they're expensive, but they can take a wind/storm and still hold up. They're easier to set up, more flexible in case of fewer trees, lighter, and take up less space. Plus, if you take care of them, they'll last a long time.

I've been in tents during downpours and wondered, "How much would I pay to be dry right now?" That question has led me to buy decent stuff. In the long run, think of a good tarp as a $15 investment each year for the peace of mind to know that you won't get soaked during an all-day rain. That's worth it, at least to me. Just my .02.

Couldn't have said it any better. I've had my good tents for many years. I've upgraded several pieces of equipment along the same lines. If it weighs less and is as durable or better, its worth it up to a certain point. High cost doesn't always better. Some things are brand name only.