• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

waterproofing a tent

klee

How do you guys make your tent waterproof? With all these false sales ideas and stuff, everything claims to be waterproof; one night out in the rain and your all wet. I’ve tried spraying the lining of the tents with waterproof stuff, but it doesn’t seem to keep the tent dry. How do you keep dry inside the tent when it rains?

you should always waterproof your tent before using it.. believing what is on the box is just bound to bring issues... it's not like they test every single tent for faulty seams.. which you obviously found out.. I use seam glue like AquaSeal or Coughlan Seam Seal.. make sure to cover every single stitch you see on your tent and you should stay dry

We put a tarp over the top of ours when we tent it. It for sure keeps us dry. Without it and even after waterproofing, 5 to 6 hours of steady rain and it would start dripping. Nothing like a wet sleeping bag to make a trip miserable.

you should always waterproof your tent before using it.. believing what is on the box is just bound to bring issues... it's not like they test every single tent for faulty seams.. which you obviously found out.. I use seam glue like AquaSeal or Coughlan Seam Seal.. make sure to cover every single stitch you see on your tent and you should stay dry

Not true.... Many quality tents use a waterproofing agent that will adversely react with most over the counter waterproof sprays. Good tents are definitely an investment. Take care of it and it will keep you dry.

Sealing the seams is usually a good idea however. Follow the manufactures recommendations.

Get a good tent. I've spent nights in mine that were filled with wind down pours, freezing rain, you name it (other that hail, thank god) and I've stayed dry every time. Maybe I've been lucky, I guess I only have a few tents to compare to.

The design of the tent is going to be a major factor in how well it keeps you dry. As well as where you set it up. Kind of obvious, I know, but setting it up in an area that is prone to puddling is going to make it hard to stay dry. Tents with a bathrub type design are a huge help in keeping water out. I seam seal my tents every couple of years. I've heard about some of the spray on waterproofing stuff but haven't tried it myself. Rupp brings up a good point when it comes to this. Might want to check with what the tent manufacturer suggests. I use a piece of tarp that I've cut to be smaller than the tent footprint and set my tent on it. Some put the tarp on the inside. If you do go with it underneath the tent, be sure to not have it larger than the footprint of the tent. Otherwise it will collect water and probably channel it right to your sleeping bag and no one elses. A rain fly that goes down past the top of the "bathtub rim" of your tent is also a sign of a good tent.

I've owned close to a dozen tents in the last 15yrs and the cheaper they were the more care they needed to use and maintain. My older tents always required waterproofing and their design always allowed water in or didn't vent well enough and condensation built up inside, especially when its humid like during a rainstorm.

I own 3 tents right now and they are 8,6 and 3 yrs old. They are different sizes and each have their own uses. All three are REI brand and none of them have ever leaked or needed waterproofing. I use them frequently and they have withstood several severe level storms.

They are all bathtub floor design with a full coverage fly so water cannot blow under the rainfly or come through a zipper. They are done with seamtape at the factory so seam sealing is unnecessary unless you have a seam rip or a hole stretches. I inspect them yearly. I wash them with tech wash each year and water test them with the hose. I never have had water come through even when spraying the hose with pressure.

So, my point is a good tent will require far less maintenance.

You don't say how you got wet so you can check it by spraying it with the garden hose.

Seam seal is very simple and cheap. If it needs a full waterproof then check the manufacturers instructions to see what they recommend.

I use the ground tarp on the outside of the tent. I don't like having another tarp on the inside of my tent sliding around. Works fine.

When it rains, it seems to go through the material. I have put a tarp under the tent, which I think traps water and causes it to soak through the bottem. Covering the tent on the top helps, but it's too much work and stuff to bring with. It also traps heat and makes it hot in the summer. I have applied the waterproof spray on the seams and all over the tent, but it doesn't seem to keep the water out when it's pouring hard out. Water also comes through the zippers. I have own cheap tents under $100. I am thinking about investing in a good tent next year. So....is it really worth paying a lot of money for a tent? If it will keep me dry, money is not an issue. What brands would you recommend?

IMO, a quality tent is well worth every penny that you spend on it. I've a dozen or so cheaper tents of all sizes and manufactures, most have gotten wet on the inside at one point or another.

Three years ago I invested in a quality tent, it was a complete game changer. Since, I've used it from March to November, sleet and snow to rain to 30+ mph winds. Wait until after the season and keep your eyes peeled, there are some really good deals to be had. The tent I found was almost $100 cheaper than msrp at the end of the season.

The must haves are a bathtub style floor and a good vestibule that goes to the ground. Definitely worth the investment if you get out camping enough to justify it.

Not to be a smart alec, but the question of is a more expensive tent worth it has a very simple answer. Do you want to be dry, warm and feel secure in your tent in the wind or not?

I've never gotten wet in one of my tents, or had one fail in high winds in over 30 years of camping. Both car and wilderness.

Get a quality tent, REI, Sierra Designs, Kelty, North Face are all very good.

JS

To be honest, my first tent was a Coleman and that was a great tent. It did require seamseal and waterproofing but it worked well. That was like 15yrs ago when Coleman tents were actually good quality. Now they are a bog box brand and hardly worth their weight and thats too bad.

bobberdown, onafly and john skarie all gave the exact right advice.

Although there is no magic number that decides when quality tents start, I would say $200 is a good line. That being said, its more about the brand and where you buy it. That price changes if you want more room and more features.

I always tell people to go to REI if you live in the cities. Bloomington is the largest of the three. You can look at a hundred tents, set them up in the store, ask questions from the staff etc. They also have the best customer service anywhere. It is unlimited warrenty, on everything they sell. PERIOD. Find a couple tents you like, compare prices. If its too much to buy new, look online. Gearheads upgrade all the time. REI has an "outlet store" online and some of their best tents end up in there for cheap. A quality tent should last 10yrs with basic maintenance.

I use a Kelty Gunnilson 3.1 and love it. I bought it on a certain one deal at a time style HSOforum just for gear. (Not sure if I can post the name of the HSOforum or not but it shouldn't be too hard to find.) They usually have tents come up a few times a day.

Get a good tent. I've spent nights in mine that were filled with wind down pours, freezing rain, you name it (other that hail, thank god) and I've stayed dry every time. Maybe I've been lucky, I guess I only have a few tents to compare to.

X2

I have two Alaskan style tents, each for their own purpose They are from the Big C store I have had trhem for 8 - 10 years still work great.

You get what you pay for...

Obviously your best bet is to invest in a good quality tent. One with the bathtub style floor and a rain fly that extends to the ground on all sides.

I have used both good quality tents and cheap ones and I still do treat each one the same when setting up. First pick high ground, anywhere that you know water won't pool. Once you have that picked use a ground cover that is just slightly smaller than the tent. Then on the inside of the tent use another piece of plastic or tarp to line the inside of the tent. This piece should be just slightly bigger than the tent so it folds up the walls a few inches. Now you have 3 layers of protection. Even if water seaps in through the floor it should stay underneath your inner plastic layer.

If you are using a cheaper tent with a small rain fly than an additional tarp over the top to act as a larger rain fly is ideal but more often than noth the big culprit is water coming up from underneath so thats what I'd target first.

Of course this is all in addition to seam seeler on the seams.

Thanks for the great advices. I have thought about putting a tarp inside instead of outside under the tent. I will be buying a new tent next year, so i will definitely use some of these advices.

I picked up a gander mountain cot tent last year. It comes with a great rain fly, never get wet. It's a cot, so its not on the ground. I got this tent because it is quick to set up, no need for air mattress or finding nice soft ground. Just plop it down, open it up. If its going to rain put up the rain top (60 seconds of work).

I can set this thing up in about 3 minutes, and take it down in less.

I'm 6'6", 300# and i've got plenty of space...

Fits two when necessary wink and they do have a two person one also.

Not the style you would want to pack into a walk-in site.

Quote:
Big tarp wink

A big blue tarp. We call it "Blue sky".

Guide Gear has a 12X12 nylon tarp for around $30. It is always nice to have part of your camp site covered when it rains so you can move around. Guide Gear has a 16X16 also for a few dollars more.

Google camping tarps and look at the images for ideas.

For the inside plastic, you can use a "regular" tarp, or you can use some poly (the stuff used for insulating houses, or for covering stuff when you're painting). I've also used Tyvek without any problem.

But yes, add me to the list of those who suggest (if you can afford it) buying a better tent. They also last a long time if you treat them properly.