• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Great bite

harvey lee

Hit the lake this am for a meal of gills.

Worked my usual August locations but not a fish. Tried a new spot and man, they gills were loaded there.

Fish a break line from 6-10fow. Used a pink 1/16oz jig with a orange piece of plastic tipped with a piece of crawler. Jigged it a ft of the bottom and the fish were nuts.

Caught approx 35 gills, 3 eyes, some crappie, bass and perch. Quite the variety.

I was using a ML rod and they were biting so light, I switched to a light action rod. It was still hard to detect the bite as most were hooked while jigging and I did not know I had hooked a fish until the next jig up. Would have been fun with an ice rod in the shallow water.

What a great morning and a nice meal of fish for supper. Had to through the eyes back as my wife would rather eat the gills as she enjoys them so much.

I do use my ice fishing rods and fish vertical as soon as I can fish in 7 or more of water. I beleive it helps on a variety of fronts.

I can definitely detect the sensitive bites better.

I think I see the 'up bites' better as I see the slack line as it is less than two feet from me.

I also beleive I can give that 'Bluegill twitch' on a short rod better than a longer rod.

And last but not least, I have spend a lot of money on these and am happy to get additional use from them

grin

Last week, I drifted a canoe in 4-6 FOW and vertical jigged a tipped swedish pimple. I put a spring bobber on the end of a 5'6" rod. I got into some nice sunnies and about a half-dozen bass on a neighborhood pond. I thought it would get me excited for ice fishing, but it just left me wondering why I don't do more fall fishing. It is a blast!

Last autumn my 15 y/o son was fishing on some docks in my neighborhood after the boats were pulled out for the season. He had a bobber with a small jig and waxie underneath, and was casting out away from the docks and was catching very little. Then he was fiddling with something and the jig was right next to the dock and he caught a sunnie. So he tried it again and caught another. And another. And another. After a while he came home and got an ice fishing rod with a spring bobber and was catching many fish right out from underneath the docks. He had me come with him one morning over that weekend and we made a nice fish fry that night. So yes, an ice rod can work great if you are verticle jigging.