• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tiller Torque Issues

fishrhunt

Question

I'm having issues with tiller torque that I can't resolve. I purchased a used 1775 Lund ProV tiller boat with a 75 hp Yamaha Pro on it. The motor runs good but insists on pulling the tiller handle away from me even when trimmed out. I've adjusted the trim tab several times but it is still troublesome especially with a crosswind on the port side.

I'm running a 13 1/4" x 17" aluminum prop and the motor is hung in the second hole from the top in a 4 hole row. I also seem to be experiencing what I consider to be more than normal cavitation when triming or cornering.

Should I lower the motor, change props, or ???? Suggestions appreciated.

5 answers to this question

Odds are the motor was set up right.First question how far are you triming the motor up? Until you find the sweet spot just trim the motor up slowly.The cavitation problem sounds like you have the motor trimed up to much. Next time you go out make sure the motor is in the down position and when you get on plane just slowly start trimming motor up and you will feel it when you hit that sweet spot. Also when you are battling the wind tighten down on the dampner A little bit and that should help with the toruqe. I run A 75hp merc. tiller and it took me A couple times out to figure out the trim. good luck

I had a similar problem with my ranger 18ft tiller with a 90hp suzuki motor. I have a stainless prop that bites really hard and it was almost unsafe to run in a heavy crosswind, because I needed both hands to steer. I had a local dealer install a titan tiller steering system on my boat. Basically it totally eliminated all torque, and I can drive my boat in a straight line without any hands at all! The downside is you won't buy another tiller without it, and it ran me over $1500 installed.