• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where did my birds go?

MN Shutterbug

I have a security camera zoned in on my bird feeders and I'm able to monitor the scene from my extra TV in the basement, where I spend much of my time. I was glancing at it once in awhile this morning and thought it strange that there weren't any little birds flitting around. Then I noticed these large legs on top of my tray feeder. My security camera extends to only about 5 inches above that feeder, so I didn't know what i was seeing. I quickly ran up the basement steps and found this Cooper's Hawk sitting there. I ran to the basement and grabbed my camera and got a couple quick shots thru a window I opened, before he flew off. It took about 15 minutes before a couple finches reappeared. They promptly left. I went out to investigate and sure enough, he was back and hiding in a tree right next to the feeders. When he saw me, he flew off into a neighbor's yard a couple yards down. I walked down there and scared him out of the neighborhood. I'm sure he'll be back so I'm going to have to be diligent. I do love hawks, but not when they're hunting in my back yard.

7733696434_753aa156fc_b.jpg

We have one of these or a marsh hawk that hunts at my feeders and the neighbors. Since I am home so much I see it pin a bird to the ground once in a while. Trying to get a pic to see if it's a marsh or coopers.

If you want to mess with his mind get yourself some decoys. If you look around you can find Purple Martin and Dove decoys. And set them out and about and around your feeders. Afther each hit you will have to move the decoys around to a new spot. This can help your song birds get away.