• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

shallow lakes

"Pike go deep" seems to be holding true in the summer. I have been having one heck of a time lately trying to catch anything but bass. My lures just are not effective past 20'. All I can do is jig spoons, and drag suckers, which has not at all worked. What about lakes that don't get past 20'? I am going to try pelican tomorrow, which has a max depth of around 15'. Beebe, and clear (by watkins) are high on my list as well. Has anyone else tried this tactic, and had success? Even my favorite lake Indian which top out at 31' is not working out. The pike are just not willing to rise from 30' to take my deepest running crank baits which usually run about 10' deep.

I've fished a fair amount of weedy, shallow lakes that have nice pike in them. Rattle raps seem to be a pretty solid bet later in summer, and large spinnerbaits.

I suggest getting some deeper cranks, especially as a pike fishermen. Fat free shads down to 22 feet, DT 16s, Bomber Long As - all great options for deep pike

I fish a pretty shallow lake often. The key is to hit it about 2 or 3 days after heavy rain; you'll find them at the inlet. Not all inlet's are equal though. One's that run in marsh tend to have water that runs over the top. You need one where cold water comes in and sinks. Usually this is the ones that come in near a dropoff.