• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rod storage

BPBOB

A broken rod tip on my last trip-I think it was stepped on in the boat.I usually have a few rods out for use,and they end up on the floor as close as possible to the side when not in use.Anyone employ some device/strategy to help with this situation? I've got in -floor storage,but hate to keep fooling with getting on my hands and knees to get them in and out constantly.A boat with better/more convenient rod storage is not an option-for now ,anyway.

Yup, I just mounted one of these to the side of my console. Genius! The only problem that I ran into was that it prohibited me from opening the battery hatch (Alumacraft Navigator). Luckily I changed the mounting so that it's held in place by wing nuts, so it only takes about a minute to unscrew the wingnuts to reach my batteries if ever needed.

+1, just got smart & did same thing to my boat also added on side of console for kids rods. rod holder was filled with my stuff so when kids/wife go with me, i haul theirs in back of truck for the road then put in the holders at the landing. since they r the first ones to start fishing anyway, the rods r never in my way.

I use one of those things too, but the biggest thing I have found to help keep the rods safe is to use rod socks, like those from Rod Slix, Rod Glove and such. They allow you to bundle your rods together and not end up with one tangled mess.

I use those white tubes as well and they work great. I have a single one that I put on the other side for the net.

However, the rods still are in the way when your fishing with more than one person in the boat. If you have a guy in the back then he has to cast around the vertical rods and if you mount them up front its the same story for the guy in front.

I dont think there is a perfect answer - but these are the next best thing.

I roll oldschool with the mueller rubber rod holder. You can mount them vertical, horazontal, or anywhere in between. I have cut out triangle to mount them to the boat, on 2 of my boats so far.

These are the holders, the tip of the rod fits in the little groove and the butt fits over that. Usually they sell them in packs of 2 (4 of the rubber holders, and 2 aluminum bracket things). I bought 2 (so 8 rubber holders) and got another set at a garage sale, so I can fit 6 rods facing the same direction. You can put rods facing backwards so you can technically fit 12 rods in my boat. grin

stuff.png

Them installed in my boat, you can only see one, but they are on both sides, on the middle and rear seat.

DSC_0387.jpg

I use those white tubes as well and they work great. I have a single one that I put on the other side for the net.

However, the rods still are in the way when your fishing with more than one person in the boat. If you have a guy in the back then he has to cast around the vertical rods and if you mount them up front its the same story for the guy in front.

I dont think there is a perfect answer - but these are the next best thing.

correct, and thats why i only use them as extras for the mrs. or kids equip. and they only get used when on the water, not for road travel, rods r put in back of truck for travel dont want to be road trash