• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Merc doesn't spit water.

Juan Grande

Question

I have a 2005 Mercury 115 EFI four stroke and it doesn't spit water when I start it. I've had the problem before and brought it in, but just wondering if there's something I can do myself? The motor doesn't overheat so I think it's cycling water, but nothing comes out the spitter hole. I'm guessing the tube is probably clogged.

17 answers to this question

water pump Impellars are actually a really easy do it yourself job...But before doing that, simply check the hose for a clog. A small piece of sand can obstruct the orfice. You should be able to pull the hose off and check the orfice to see if it is clean.

What I do is take a piece of 18 gauge solid copper wire and run it up the hole on the outside of the motor. This will usually work like a plumbers snake to clear out the debris. If that does not work then I get more aggressive and start removing things.

Visually check the water tube inside the cowl if you can. My dad has a 50 HP Merc of the same vintage, and the garden hose flush port is integrated with the water exit hole. I noted a small trickle of water from the exit port while motor running. Thought it may be plugged after getting into mud while duck hunting.

I flushed it, and noted little water (along with silt) pouring out of the lower intake ports. Started it up, still small trickle. Found the water tube was twisted, and pinched the hose. It must have twisted when hose was screwed into the port previously. If you have flushed the motor in the past with a hose, this may have happened.

Check the water intake screens on the bottom of your motor (lower unit area). You can remove them and clean them out easily. Just poking a wire in the outlet hole really isnt solving the problem, the debris is still in there. Take the motor cover off and locate the hose, it should pull right off the outlet easily and that is likely where the obstruction is.

CaptainMusky,

Do you think I could have a problem with the intake since the motor is not over heating? I would assume if it isn't sucking up water that it's not circulating and that the motor would overheat and shut off. It seems to run fine with the exception of not spitting water. I'll check the screens just to be sure.

with cleaning the "pee hole" you may have to clean it a few times by sticking a small piece of wire in there ( I keep a twist tie on my motor key chain for this) but eventually the sand and muck should cycle through if it doesn't then start taking things apart but my issues have always been resolved by this method so far....

CaptainMusky,

Do you think I could have a problem with the intake since the motor is not over heating? I would assume if it isn't sucking up water that it's not circulating and that the motor would overheat and shut off. It seems to run fine with the exception of not spitting water. I'll check the screens just to be sure.

Its not likely, but it is usually only 1 screw on each side so it wouldnt hurt to clean it as well. I found green slime on mine, never had an issue, but I am sure it wasnt helping matters any.

Just an update on this...

I winterized the boat yesterday and was reading about flushing the cooling system on my Merc. I guess you can screw a hose right onto where the motor usually spits and flush the system. Did that for five minutes, threw the ear muffs on and fired up the motor and it was spitting water like a champ. Must have had something in hose and that flush got rid of it.

Onto problem #2, pulled the draig plugs on the lower unit and the oil looked like chocolate milk. I would assume that means there's water in it. Replaced all the drain plug seals last fall and had it pressure tested this spring and he found no leaks. Not sure what to try next. Suggestions?

You are correct in that you have water in the lower unit.

Did you have chocolate milk last year and that is why you pressure tested it? If so, the problem still exists. If not, you have a new problem.

There are really only 4 ways water can get in.

1, bad prop seal

2, bad plug seals

3, crack in the housing

4, bad input shaft seal

We can probably throw out #3.

If you do not have any obvious signs you are going to have to have it pressure tested again, and spray the LU with soapy water to check for leaks.

I once had a LU that would let water seep in thru the drain plug gaskets, even though it would pressure test good. I eventually had to smear a little clear silicone over them to keep the water sealed out.

Just an update on this...

I winterized the boat yesterday and was reading about flushing the cooling system on my Merc. I guess you can screw a hose right onto where the motor usually spits and flush the system. Did that for five minutes, threw the ear muffs on and fired up the motor and it was spitting water like a champ. Must have had something in hose and that flush got rid of it.

Onto problem #2, pulled the draig plugs on the lower unit and the oil looked like chocolate milk. I would assume that means there's water in it. Replaced all the drain plug seals last fall and had it pressure tested this spring and he found no leaks. Not sure what to try next. Suggestions?

I do this on my Merc after evry trip to the Mn river or any shallow lake I was on. I always suck sand into the water intake when I get too shallow espcially on the Mn river when the water is down. Hard on the impellar also as it will trash the impellar very fast or at least slow the flow of the water being pumped out the tell tale.

It is so easy and will wash alot of issues away.

Thanks for the tips MNFishingGuy.

I had it pressure tested in the spring because when I drained the lower unit lube last fall I had a lot of water. I hadn't used the boat in a while and the water/oil totally seperated. When I unscrewed the drain plug a bunch of water poured out and then the oil after it. I suspect the same thing would have happened this past weekend, but I mixed it up when I was flushing the cooling system.

I will try the silicone on the drain plugs in the spring. I'll probably bring it out a couple times and then pull the plugs again and see if there's water. If there is then I'll bring it in again. If it's not the plugs then I'm not sure why nothing would show up on the pressure test. There's obviously a leak some place...