• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Beaver problem

My dad has a corn feild next to a river and the beaver are mowing the corn down like crazy i set some snares a week ago and had one but it pulled up my rebar stake. Does anyone have a better idea to kill these things. Can i snare them anyware along there run or do i want to be next to the water. They have 4runs going we just want these dam things dead. Do i want to bust a hole in the dam after i set a snare? Im setting them at 7 to 9 inch ovales at the ground alot of misses or corn stuck in them. Can i some how shoot in the water and blow out there ear drums. Thanks

Take and set a 330 conibear trap in there runs that come out of the waters edge. Set the trap in the water half way submerged and put some stick on the sides of the trap to make sure the beaver doesnt go around it.

Or take a MB750 foot hold and place it in the water back about a foot or so a offset the trap 6 inches to one side of center. Put it on a drowner or just stake it out deep.

As Ray said you need to be in the water to have a decent chance of taking beaver. Now if these things are a problem or causing damage call your conservation officer. Here in Minnesota we have nuisance trappers such as myself. Often times when I am called to a problem site by a warden the township, county or even state picks up the bill due to grants or programs. That way the problem will be taken care of, or even just figure out who traps in your area and invite them in to beaver trap once season is open.

Not sure how the law reads in your state but like Jonny said, it would be best to contact your local CO and let him know of the problems you're having and maybe he can suggest a nuisance animal trapper to give you a hand or get you lined up with the right permits if necessary to take them out of season. It's not worth losing you're right to hunt and fish for a couple years or a heavy fine for a couple beaver.

In Wisconsin, if beaver are causing damage on your property, you or your family members can shoot or trap them at anytime without a license. Let us know how it turns out.

Rob