• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Freezing vegetables

Well, I'm experimenting this year. I've heard of this before so I thought I'd give it a try.

Every year I have blanched and frozen our green beans, carrots, etc. And every time we use them I am not satisfied with the texture. For some reason they are not firm like I want them to be. I blanch them for 3 minutes using a timer. I've tried reducing time and increasing time with no better results. Is there something else I may be doing wrong?

This year I decided to try a different approach. I'm freezing them raw in vacuum packs. When we use them I will try not thawing them first but keeping them frozen until I drop them into boiling water. We'll see what happens.

I may report back at some point with the results.

We raw freeze all our vegetables from beans to tomatoes. The beans are great microwaved in a small amount of water in a corning ware dish with the cover on. We usually go 4-5 minutes then let them steam with the cover on until time to eat then drain water add butter or margarine and a little garlic powder;)

Thanks. I figure the vacuum pack will help them freeze quicker and not get mushy in the process and cooking them from frozen should have a similar effect. Additionally, if this works, we won't be losing as much food value or flavor in the process.

Like you signature.

I was talking to the guy at one of the corn stands and he said that you can just throw husks of corn in the freezer and use as you need. I usually soak and grill my corn in the husk, but he said after freezing and thawing, the soaking won't be neccessary. Anyone freeze corn like this?

we also freeze peppers, celery,onions and garlic if it starts to get old. The best is whole ginger, when you need ginger just shave off what you need with a knife and throw it in the dish. The one thing I've found if that if you use frozen veggie in a recipe is that it adds liquid. If I don't want additional liquid I just sweat them separately and evaporate the extra liquid then add them to the dish.

We freeze oodles of tomatoes, peppers and onions. Mainly using for homemade salsa.

I am never satisfied with the taste of the veggies after being frozen to use them for sides on meals. I would rather buy fresh from a store if I need a side with the main course.