• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Flathead Guide

BillyFinn

I don't know too many people crazy enough to try to make a living guiding for those guys, especially in MN. They're very unpredictable and the odds of a skunk are high. Not trying to rain on any parades, just stating it like I see it.

If I was going to hire a guide for catfishing, I'd do one of two things -- if you can spend 20 hours driving, I'd go to St Louis and fish with someone for blue cats -- probably the "Show Me Catfishing" dudes. And if I wanted to stick closer to town, I'd drive up and fish the Red River with Brad Durrick out of Grand Forks or Drayton for giant channel cats. Either way your odds are about 10x better than trying to get the elusive flathead in Minnesota.

Yep, fo sho

I spend an obscene amount of time on the MN river and only have a few fish over 30lbs to show for it this year. Hiring a flathead guide would be more of an educational trip than a catching trip. Sure there is always the chance at catching some nice fish, but this year has been very very slow and skunks have been the norm.

I would say your odds are better for flathead success on the bigger more consistent waters of the Mississippi, but even the guides that I have seen who fish out of there are not posting much at all in the way of fish caught, other than some channel cats. Those channels might average 4 to 8 lbs, but I'd say if you want to do channels I'd head North to the red rather than hitting up the fiddlers around here.

Is there any particular reason you want to spend money and hire a guide?? Considering how slow the flatheads have been this season - id be willing to bet your odds won't be upped much by spending top dollar on a guide over just going out with some friends...

If its the learning experience you're after, there are many on here that live near you who would probably show you the ropes ...

I wouldnt hire a guide im with nutter and everyone else it has been a hell of a slow year for me also yeah get a channel or 2 every night but as far as hiring a guide for a flathead trip pffff. Just head on down to the river and give her hell with a bully or live sucker and bring some cut bait to catch a channel or two.

Friend of mine, Brian Klawitter, guides on the Mississippi River, mainly Pools 3 & 4.

Shouldn't be too hard to find him with some internet searching.

You'd think it wouldn't take 7 posts for somebody to actually mention a guide's name???

You'd think it wouldn't take 7 posts for somebody to actually mention a guide's name???

I did mention a guide's name -- two of them actually. Why not Brian K? Two reasons.

a) I've never fished with him and don't know him personally, so I can't make a personal recommendation, but I did specifically point to the mississippi and mention that there are guides there catching channel cats, and I assume that google could easily find him if someone really wanted to know.

B) I've yet to see him post any solid reports of FLATHEAD being caught this year, but he's posting about channel cats every single day. If someone wants channel cats, I will re-iterate my stance that the Red is a better fishery. If you want flatheads, again I'm going to have to plead ignorance because I don't know any guides who are catching any around here.

I'm not saying definitively that he isn't catching flatheads -- just saying that I'm not seeing him advertise that he is. If I was a guide and flatheads were the big attraction, I'd be sure to let folks know when I was on fish. So the only assumption I can make is that he's not catching flatheads. Given that, you are down to a couple of channel cat guides -- Brian K on pool 4 and Brad D on the red river. I'd take the red every time, hence my earlier recommendation with a guy that I know, Brad Durrick.

Edit: On Brian's HSOforum, the 2012 photos highlight his multi-species skills -- they include 3 pictures of channel cats, one of a small sturgeon, and one flathead, along with one unknown of a rod bending.

I guess I'll stand by my earlier statement that paying someone to catch FLATHEADS in Minnesota isn't something I would recommend because they're wiley and unpredictable creatures, and most people who go with a guide expect to catch a fish that they're targeting. There's too high of a skunk probability with flatheads-only. People don't make a living guiding specifically for flatheads, I presume mostly because of this unpredictability.

I hired Denny Halgren a few years ago down on the Rock River in Illinois. I fished with him for two days and never caught a flathead. The weather was hot hot hot and the river was low low low. I can't say I did not have a good time and it was fun to fish with him and pick the brain a little...it was just bad timing.

A mudeye guide on the Minnesota would be more of a "how to" rather than "catching". I've taken people out for no charge and some get one and some don't.

I've been wanting to hook up with BK down on the Miss.....just for the fun more than anything.

DIY is a great way to spent sometime on a river but if you don't have a boat or worried of having trouble reading the river for travel purposes I can understand the need to want to hire a guide but even with a guide for flatheads I would not get get excited about catching any.

Look for a open seat with someone hear and if your not familar with fishing these great fish their is so much info on these forums that anyone that can read can fish for them even a muskie guy winkgrin

I have been at it for 4 years of flathead fishing now. As someone who targeted the species solely based on information gleaned off this site, I found it enjoyable to go from shore or boat and just keep trying. If I get skunked I dont feel led astray by a guide. I just try again. The success once you find it is worth the slow nights! I am getting on fish fairly regularly when I try and that means you guys on here deserve a big THANKS for the info you share.

I have been at it for 4 years of flathead fishing now. As someone who targeted the species solely based on information gleaned off this site, I found it enjoyable to go from shore or boat and just keep trying. If I get skunked I dont feel led astray by a guide. I just try again. The success once you find it is worth the slow nights! I am getting on fish fairly regularly when I try and that means you guys on here deserve a big THANKS for the info you share.

Ditto

Being laid off from work right now I have been finding myself up on the river 3-4 nights a week