• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

KVD mustad triple grip trebles are sharp...

Slob_Samurai

I get the heebie jeebies just looking at those pics. Honestly, how does this happen? I've been fishing my whole life and never stuck myself, but I'd like to know how I can keep that streak alive. Is it trying to lip a thrashing fish, is it blindly reaching somewhere you shouldn't? How does one hook themselves like that? Please provide details so I can laminate a list of things to avoid and keep it with me at all times.

Triple grips are nasty man. I love the things but man am I careful with fish when they have them in their face. Smallmouths are especially bad. Small mouth to begin with and then they never stop fighting. I usually belly land them rather than lip them, and I always use pliers. Pike are the worst though. I just shake them off with a pliers if I can. Even at that, got stuck this year, for the first time in a long long time. Thrashing little pike on a Series 5...right in the thumb.

This was my 1st time getting hooked but I knew it would happen sooner or later while fishing cranks. I need to rethink my fish handling procedures

especially on smaller bass with a mouth full of hooks. Rolling the dice and just stabbing my thumb into their mouth can't be a smart way. Lots of times I can just use the pliers without grabbing them and sometimes on small ones I grab them by the sides but they can squirt free.

Are there any cheaper options besides a boga grip? I feel the small bass are the most dangerous ones, they get less tired out since you are just cranking them in quick.

Removing the hook with the fishing line trick wasn't as pain-free as they make it seem online smile

Hiya -

The Rapala hook removers are great, I think. Nice because can also just latch onto the shank of a treble and it'll immobilize the fish more or less while you grab it. Keeps one set out of trouble anyhow.

The line trick is pretty painless if someone else is doing it to you. Do it on yourself and you kind of know when it's coming and tense up a little. I pulled hooks out of quite a few little kids at camp fish doing that trick. We'd tell them to close their eyes and we would pull it out on the count of three...then pop it out as soon as they closed their eyes. Most of the time they'd still be sitting there with their eyes squeezed shut waiting for us to start counting, and the hook was already gone.

Sure did. Blaine Medical Center. I just got to the spot. On my second cast I hooked a small bass, maybe 2lbs. A guy was walking behind me and asked me how the fishing was. So while talking to him with my head turned to the back, I was holding the bass in my left hand and was trying to unhook it wih my right hand. The bass flopped once and I felt the pain. Worst yet, while the hook was in my thumb and still hooked to the fish, it started flopping even more. That part hurt. The gentleman sqw everything, helped me unhook the bass and cut my line. We're standing there for a couple minutes and then he suggested I go to urgent care. I thought about.the line trick, but.he never heard of it before. So I drove to urgent care holding the crankbait.

I walked in and the receptionist goes "Hi, what can we do for you?"Me, being super embarassed, didnt say a word and just held up my hand. Its a good laugh now that I think about it. A little novacaine and some forceps and it was out. Had to get a tetanus shot also.

I had enjoyed many years of fishing until I"hooked" myself - both times reaching for fish in the water not using a net.Those lures with treble hooks can get you.I was able to push the hook through and either flatten the barb and pull it back out,or I pushed it through and cut the barb off and then backed it out.Amazingly,both times the wound healed very quickly-luckily.

I purchased a good wire cutter to have on hand-just in case.Have not needed it this year.

My advise-always be very careful and pay Full attention to the task of retreiving that fish from the water.

My bass was also flopping around while still hooked to my thumb, I felt crippled for a moment. Both my hands were tied up, rod stuck under my arm pit and the pliers seemed like a mile away. The tricky part was removing the crankbait from the split ring smile

Needless to say it was a leaning experience and I now have a fully stocked first-aid kit in my boat.

My bass was also flopping around while still hooked to my thumb, I felt crippled for a moment. Both my hands were tied up, rod stuck under my arm pit and the pliers seemed like a mile away. The tricky part was removing the crankbait from the split ring smile

Needless to say it was a leaning experience and I now have a fully stocked first-aid kit in my boat.

I didnt even try removing the hook from the split ring. Every little bit of movement sent shooting pains throuh my hand. It was like at that moment the bass was asking "Yeah, paybacks a @&%*# huh? "

I didnt even try removing the hook from the split ring. Every little bit of movement sent shooting pains throuh my hand. It was like at that moment the bass was asking "Yeah, paybacks a @&%*# huh? "

How about getting this one off a triple strong split ring?

cYZSc.jpg

Oh man! This thread makes me realize I should really be more careful. I am thankful and lucky I guess to not have had this happen. I've been stuck but nothing nearly as bad as this. I fish Lipless cranks a lot and catch a bunch of Bass and I should really start thinking a little harder before I throw my hand near those trebles!

Ugh, how did that one happen? These pics are making me queezy

Musky fishing, caught about a 26" northern. Was holding it over the side of the boat trying to pop the front treble. The fish flailed so I meant to just drop it back in the water. But in doing so it flipped the free rear treble (which on this bait is about 6 inches from the front treble) over my finger. The weight of the fish falling drove it into the finger. I then had a 26" pike in the water attached to my hand. I had to grab it again with my hooked hand, pop the front treble (which I buried into the fish pretty good, and you've never seen a fish tossed back faster), and then my dad took it off the split ring. The hospital I went to didn't even have a staff member strong enough to cut that hook: my dad had to be the one to do it.

There is a bit of a scar from it: the entry wound where you see it punctured: and the exit wound that the doctor made right alongside my knuckle. Luckily on the side of the finger there's no muscle or tendon, so destroying that tissue didn't cause any lasting damage.

Dude.... I know how you feel.

KVD 1.5 last week

Ditto... 1.5 in the hand from a couple weeks ago. A smallmouth bass spazzed out and dangled from the hook stuck in my finger, goring the living daylights out of the side of my poor finger. OOOUUUUCCCCHHHH!!

Its still numb.

MxwDX.jpg