• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Masterbuilt Electric Analog Smoker Converted to Wood/Charcoal

Here's a few pictures of my conversion.

Long story short, I bought a new electric analog smoker with a bad heating element. I sent the heating back to Masterbuilt and they sent me a newer model analog smoker (which has been working great), leaving me with this shell.

So, I fabricated a vent hole on each side and one on the top right corner for better air flow. I upgraded the thermometer with a bigger one (bought from lowes..$8???). I also put a door the drops down to have access to the lower pans.

Today I am doing ribs with lump charcoal and jack daniels smoking chips.

So far so good!!

full-34423-22906-masterbuilt1.1.jpg

full-34423-22907-masterbuilt2_2.jpg

full-34423-22908-masterbuilt3.3.jpg

full-34423-22909-masterbuilt4.4.jpg

Well, first off, Kudos to Masterbuilt for sending you a whole new unit instead of just the heating element. 2nd, I know nothing to help you in doing what you are trying to do, but you sure have nothing to lose! As you said, the ribs turned out awesome, so you must be on the right track. Not only do you have a shell, but an insulated one at that should work great come this winter. As RH would say.....Good Luck!

Well, first off, Kudos to Masterbuilt for sending you a whole new unit instead of just the heating element. 2nd, I know nothing to help you in doing what you are trying to do, but you sure have nothing to lose! As you said, the ribs turned out awesome, so you must be on the right track. Not only do you have a shell, but an insulated one at that should work great come this winter. As RH would say.....Good Luck!

Actually, unfortunately,,,this shell is the non-insulated one. But it still worked out great. Now, I can't speak for winter uses, but we'll have to wait til then to find out. My new replacement is the one with the insulated shell.