• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New

Hi,

I'm new to muskies. I'd like to get started, not sure i want to dive head first yet though. I've just picked up a used Abu 5600 and a St Croix Premier Heavy.

I know NOTHING about muskie baits other than they look redicilous, so i've got no idea what to spend my money on. I've also got a buddy who picked up a whole bunch of baits from someone who got out of the game, but i haven't a clue what lures work.

Can you recommend 10 lures that would give me a good starting point? Maybe your preferred colors. I'd greatly appreciate it. I'd also like some lures for trolling in the propwash.

Sorry for the Newb question,

JMO- get yourself five lures and give it a try. Don't bother buying a bunch more- no need. Lure's I'd suggest to a newbie with your setup:

1) single spin rad dog

2) small bucktail- muskie candies are good and can be burned fast

3) tail spinning prop bait- small Pacemaker or something similar

4) double #8 bucktail- a single would also be fine

5) weighted Suick- drill out about 1/2 - 3/4 of the weight in it

For prop wash baits, you can use most of the baits above. Also, RK is a big fan of weight Sledges and Bomber Long As (the big ones) for this. He's done it a ton more than me, so when he suggests this sort of thing, I tend to listen...

Don't get too caught up in getting enough or the "right" lure- get out on the water with the lures above (or a number of other options would be fine too) and get the lures wet. Don't get too caught up in buying all the lures people tell you that you "need". FYI- the lures I mentioned above are not the newest, "sexiest" lures out there, but they just keep on catching fish.

Also, if you like books, two good ones are: "Muskies on the Shield" and "Pro Tactics: Muskie".

Good luck!!!

Welcome to the game. Heroin would be cheaper but this is good clean fun. First follow from a 50 plus will leave your heart pounding for a few minutes. Best bet is to try a lure for a while if you spend too much time changing lures, you lose a lot of time with line in the water. It can get frustrating to cause you can't start till june, then July hits and the temps are too high till late August, then the fun finally begins and brings you up to ice fishing......where you sit and wait for it to start all over again.

Next Wed Chapter 54 will have a night on the water at French unless water temps are too high; they cancelled the last one. Several guys from Mankato generally head over. Everyone meets at Hoys after. The best way to learn how to fish Muskie is from the guys that have years behind them and there's allot of years in that group willing to help new guys.

My Nephew said Temp was still at 83-85 yesterday. Will they still meet at Hoy's if fishing does not go on? I am not going to fish till it cools down but would like to get more involved and help with the push for more lakes in the South Central region.

1) MG spinnerbait, black and gray

2) Bulldawg (regular or magnum, black and orange is a good one to start)

3) 8" Phantom, perch

4) Musky Mayhem double cowgirl, #10 blades, silver tinsel

5) Topraider, baby loon

Good luck, my suggestion is to spend some money on a reel, musky fishing will destroy that abu 5600, especially if its used- JMO. Shimano calcutta 400B is a quality reel that doesn't cost an absolute fortune.

You're reel will be fine unless you start pulling DBL 10's with it, which I wouldn't use anyway.

DBL 10's are getting ignored more than bit these days.

I used a 5500 for years. Caught hundreds of skies on them and 6500s.

Get a Rad Dog, Red October Tube, Top Raider or Water Chopper and a whatever color DBL showgirl strikes your fancy.

Those lures are all good from opener to ice-up for the most part.

JS

Awesome guys, thanks for the suggestions. Enough info here to get a few lures into a box.

The Abu just kind of fell into my lap last week, really didn't need it and i would'nt have gotten it at shelf price as i've been eye'n up a Revo, Calcutta, and a few other too darn expensive reels wink. Besides...You musky guys will burn up even the greatest reel in a year! laugh The reel will spend 90% of its time fishing sturgeon or catfish/ so minimal casting.

I've got plenty of storage in the boat and not much desire right now to put much effort towards muskies, but when i'm spending my september and october weekends sturgeon fishing on the Croix, i'll probably spend the mornings swinging big baits. So the musky gear is just something i want to have along for the ride and if i get the itch, i'll scratch it.

Thanks again.

If you fish sturgeon and big cats Im assuming you have a large enough net to handle those creatures and it would suffice for muskies as well. I personally think spending more money on release tools at first is more important than lures. A bolt cutter is a must and a handy sewing tape up to 60" works decent for measuring fish in the water. You probably have something like that already if you fish big cats and sturgeon.

I like double willow leaf spinnerbaits like CJs. They go through weeds easily and pull through the water without much effort.

Topwaters are a blast, the slamr thunderhead is one of my favorites, but they go out of tune so dang easy which is a pain in the butt. Otherwise a topraider or pacemaker would be a good choice.

A couple big crankbaits like a jake or triple d are good. I like the triple d because it suspends which gets fish to hit more than a pause/rise bait like the jake.

Bucktails are a dime a dozen, but you really need a couple of them because they always locate fish. Black/orange stained or Copper/brown for clear water

Just picked up 10 baits for $50; got a nice deal. Will be swinging through the store to trade some heroin for a few more lures! grin Thanks for the advice guys. I hope they are biting on the croix this weekend.

BTW, yes i've got all the big fish gear as well as understand the importance of not fishing these guys in high heat as well as a quick and safe release. I"m all for keeping big fish alive to catch another day.

TW if you want to jump on for muskies sometime in the NE metro let me know, I have an open seat alot of times during the week.

BTW there is little to no sturgeon action on the croix yet, was catting out there last night and didn't see a single one. You might be slinging baits a little more than you thought in early september!

Oh man, thanks for the sturg update...Thats a little disappointing, but i have no doubt i can boat a few...Switching tactics for flatheads is no disappointment either, the MN river has been terrible this year for navigation and i haven't boated a flat yet. Plenty of species on the croix to keep me entertained...especially if the weather is warm - the bikini wear should be out and about!!

i finally found a decent flathead last night out on the croix and the knot on my hook failed. couldn't believe it. gonna give it one more try tonight and then it's musky time the rest of the year.

there are some other pretty decent rivers to fish flatheads on around here than the MN, ya know smile